"**** you" money

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by spludgey, 10th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

Rich Dad, Poor Dad comes into the picture.

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Its not the cost, but the principle of the matter (the fact they want to charge you a whole extra $1 for guacamole).... i just simply refuse to pay it. hahaha

Observer, Gypsyblood and Phase2 like this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Is that what it means... been wondering what you were referring to when i saw that on your signature a while back.

I like it! :D

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If these staff do quality work in every other respect... ok, keep them. You can't expect someone to work more than what they get paid for, but I think they shouldn't have proclaimed these grievances out loud to colleagues out in the open in the office, it just sounds self entitled and perhaps that they arent team players. If they are only so-so employees... I'd want to get rid of them. They sound like they think they are the bees knees... there are other people who are very hungry and willing to work but with a much better attitude. I'd like to pose this question to them... Can they say why they deserve to be employed at your company over some other new graduate?

Simple thing I'd like them all to keep in mind... they should focus on doing whatever it takes to make their bosses life easy. That's not difficult advice! I'd like to see what the outcome would be if you were to say this to them... I'd like to know if you can see their attitudes change.

When I speak up, it's more about considering everybody's wellbeing and calling out if something isn't right. Its about policies or issues that arise that might be bad for the bank or for staff members or that I may have thought of an alternative way of doing something that is a better process than the status quo. It can be about workplace health and safety. It's speaking up and advocating for people who don't have much power. When I speak up, it's not soley about me and my wants.

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2017
    lowIQ, Gypsyblood and EN710 like this.
  5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Avo's ain't cheap :-(

Eric Wu likes this.
  6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Just had avo and goats fetta on toast, delicious.

I used to work in finance for large corporates, never felt engaged. Didnt feel comfortable speaking up and going against the heard. Didnt really want to, i was just a number.

Now i work for a small surveying/engineering surburban practice. Feel very engaged, a part of the decision making process, while i am still an employee and the final say is with the directors, i feel involved, and what i say matters.

The working environment/culture/size of the company has a lot to do with what an employee feels confortable with saying or doing.

I dont have FU money. Maybe one day. But i will be an employer by then so noone to say it to.

bob shovel and ellejay like this.
  7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Your altitude is determined by your attitude.
    That's all there is to say.
    You don't need to be concerned about anything else.
    The same job approached by 2 different people with attitudes at opposite ends will achieve 2 completely different results, and the one who performed well likely felt good throughout the process too.

Ostraylia, Gypsyblood, TerryN and 2 others like this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'm in the lucky bunch who always got reasonable bosses... also know who don't and, while they are proud with their work some part of them is miserable. I think this is where the ability to support one self without working is a blessing.

9. Gockie

Agree. Having a great boss vs. having a boss you continually butt heads with makes a world of difference. I don't want to be miserable at work, life is too short.

One time I was working and there was a manager who always wanted things done in a certain way. Her staff member was someone who was always happy to do that. That staff member left, all was fine. The person that replaced her was a nice person, competent, I believe she was more experienced. From the outset she wanted to have her say on how things were done. And her way would have been perfectly fine too. She had the skills and maturity. Anyway, with her boss this caused friction... After probably working together for a year, both were offered redundancies separately... (I believe the business thought only one would take the redundancy)... but both accepted.

Nothing wrong with how that staff member worked at all. I think the manager should have allowed that flexibility and the discretion for that staff member to do the job in the way that she herself wanted... Instead the business lost 2 competent people as the staff member was frustrated by the lack of autonomy. If the work gets achieved at the end of the day, that's what matters. Plus it's better for people to take ownership of the processes they themselves do, it much more empowering and fulfilling. As long as the results are achieved and nobody is breaking any rules, it's all good.

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2017
    Gypsyblood and EN710 like this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

F U money is the soft option.
    Saying F U when you don't have the security takes more balls, and would lead to greater personal growth in the end.
    Why wait 5,10, 20 years until you feel safe to do it, do it now your life path will change for the better in the long run.

11. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

For me, I actually have the urge to speak out and have to hold myself back. While I would write an email to everyone, I know that if I did speak out more than I do (I probably do it a little bit too much already), it would massively hinder me at my current employer in the future. So unfortunately, no matter which way you look at it, it just isn't the smart thing to do.
    And while I'm quite annoyed with it, it's not enough for me to give up on my current work just yet, as I actually really enjoy the actual work itself.

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. Gockie

Just wondering. How about calling the required people into a meeting and speaking out there? That way a discussion can take place.

13. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

When I was a grad, a senior tried to give me her work and required me to stay back late that night. I said no and basically told her it's not my job. Felt great - got home by 530pm that evening. She was working till late that night, made sure I was told all about it the following morning.

Now, I'm 30, a boss with 20 reports - I'd never hire someone like me. But I get the feeling people like that will have things work out in the end anyway. World's unfair.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  14. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Took me a lot of very hard work and just as many very long hours as a start up, to be in a position where I can say FU . I dont think it's the "soft" option unless its gifted or inherited...

Hazelnut_Flatwhite and spludgey like this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

What I meant was if saying F U is warranted because you are being taken advantage of or disrespected, money shouldn't come into it.
    Make some quick plans and get some options going, then give them your F U.
    Nobody wants to say F U to anybody, but if it gets to that stage, the fear of losing your income should not be the reason.
    It should drive you to do even better elsewhere away from the bad situation.

Eric Wu likes this.
  16. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I must say that even I'm a little bewildered by such comments..... if you're the primary income earner, have a family to support & finances are tight, it is very much about money.... that's life in the real world for working families. Perhaps you've been drinking Joe Hockey's Koolaid......

The fear of losing the household income is a very very real & dominant issue for a lot people. Apologies for being blunt but to assert otherwise reeks of the elitism espoused by our floundering political class.

Sure, people are "victims" of their own making in a lot of cases.... I get that, however there are socioeconomic factors at play as well that contribute to many families living in fear of job loss..... that's why we're here at PC.... we choose not to be victims & take action BUT it doesn't happen overnight & many even here at PC would be ruined by prolonged job loss........ food for thought.

17. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@euro73 , I get your point but we are still talking about a decade timeframe. I accept that property is a long term investment but at the same time the market (Melbourne and Sydney at least) has been on steroids! So that cgt I was expecting in say 10 years is now here in 3 years. I think it's an opportunity to be financially more independent a lot quicker and hence getting that 'fu money' a lot quicker. One can always reinvest!

18. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Just be mindfull of the fact that when you get to the point of having FU Money, doesn't necessarily mean you have to say it to your boss, or colleagues for that matter. Just be confident in the knowledge and smile on the inside until you're next chapter is ready to roll out. Flaunting an FU position can cause resentment and hostility amongst your peers.

RumpledElf, Spiderman, Bunlee and 7 others like this.
  19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

To each to their own and hope that everyone's dreams do come true.

I have been a culprit in the past for having wishful dreams and marvellous ideas of quitting my job in epic fashion! Ultimately at the end of the day, no matter how bad an employer is, your name and reputation is so important. Yes, I've had colleagues in the past where professionally and personally we have had our differences but just because you may have the financial means to leave anytime, doesn't give you the right to act like a silly bugger and be rude to people. Also, think of the additional burden on your colleagues who are in a less fortunate position.

I am somewhat appalled at some of the comments here because didn't you work hard to build up your portfolios, initial learning phase of your respective career and during your employment history? Not saying you can't stand up for your rights and taken advantage of by your employers but I believe in giving your best to the employer and taking the initiative to progressively learn and build on your skill base.

Funny how people keep on repeating past successes all the time. Are you a one trick pony?

Gypsyblood likes this.
  20. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

That is so true and feel that some people need a lesson in being humble. They delude themselves into thinking they are 'trying to help' but instead using it to almost display narcissistic behaviors.