"**** you" money

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by spludgey, 10th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

My initial investing goal was to stop working by the time I'm 40, however, not only has it now become clear that I most likely will not be able to achieve this goal, but also that this is no longer something that I want to achieve.
    I don't want to be retired or stop working. Sure, it would be nice to scale back my working hours to something that's three to four days a week, but work is something that I find gratifying at time, plus I have quite a few people at work that I like.

My new goal has now become not having to work, even though I would still work, as soon as possible. This is also referred to as having "**** you" money, as you are just free to speak your mind at work without worrying whether the repercussions will mean that you'll struggle to put food on the table.
    Right now, it would be very nice to be in a position like that, as I feel (as many others at my work do) that the company is moving in a completely wrong direction, both for the company itself as well as its staff. I wish I could speak out, but unfortunately that's not the smart thing for me to do.
    Realistically, I think the chances of me getting fired would be low, however I do think that any future promotion potential would be dramatically reduced and I think that next restructure my number might be up.

What's your experience with having "**** you" money? Is it as good as I'm romanticising it? If you've achieved it, are you still working, or were you actually fired for speaking up?

@Simon Hampel, hope this is okay from a language front, given that I don't have "**** you" money and don't want to get the axe from PC either. ;)

freyja, Toon, Tim86 and 8 others like this.
  2. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

It's called Financial Independence.....

Traditional views of retirement are fast becoming obsolete as more people strive to achieve a perpetual balance rather than a "black or white" outcome... ie. Work / don't work.

I have chosen perpetual "grey"... semi retirement for a long time & so far it is agreeing with me very very well....

KJB, Observer, tangy and 4 others like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the replies.. I like the title of this thread, lets ramp it up.

4. Skydome

Skydome Well-Known Member

i'd like to get to that point too. i've got a way to go but it'd be great to tell the boss flog off when he/she's annoying you

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I like the title too.

This is where I want to be - doing things I want at work rather than needing to work :)

TerryN, Gockie and orangestreet like this.
  6. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

I don't completely dislike my job, it's interesting and never gets boring. But driving to an office 5 days a week and getting told what to do, that just sucks. I want a LIFE, we only get one. If I ever have enough cash I'll keep working that's for sure....I'll work at Golf, reading, doing activities with my family etc. etc. things I actually want to spend my time on. I'd blow my job at the first opportunity.

Would I continue to develop and invest, ABSOLUTELY!

Observer, Toon, Tim86 and 2 others like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Oh no not golf, my partner is a golf tragic, spends most of his life buying gadgets on line to improve his swing....not working too well

TerryN, ellejay, CSDS and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

Golf gadgets, you can never have too many :p

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    WARNING - if easily offended, do not click PLAY

GOU, Set81, Ostraylia and 5 others like this.
  10. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I reckon this is something a lot of people would want. I certainly do, even though i love my job.

@spludgey , if you're company is going in the wrong direction.. perhaps its time to look for another. I worked for a company in '07-'11 that i saw was moving in the wrong direction, I decided to jump ship. 6 months after jumping ship, it went broke and got bought up by a Phillipino company, leaving 150 people in Australia jobless.

11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Psychologically, I found working because I want to and working because I have to completely different. Same job, same company, same people but having to go to work sucks. Choosing to go to work is great! :)

Jaro, Gockie, Gypsyblood and 2 others like this.
  12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I love the title - great marketing

13. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

I personally feel like i am there in terms of being able to speak my mind and do what i want at work, and i definitely dont have the money to leave the workforce. Admittedly i dont have the stress of kids, but generally i find three things;
    1. it works because i dont want to be a c**t and butt heads with people or issues because i dont agree. i think that all isses can be resolved through reasoned discussion. if the people i am working with are unreasonable and i couldnt work through it, i would and have moved jobs. saying that, i have only once in my career worked with unreasonable people.
    2. people actually appreciate the honestly and more often than not the person you want to approach actually also wants to address the issue, they are also just too scared to start the conversation. If you have a good relationship with your boss, odds are they are just as worried about you leaving them as you are of them ditching you (if not more so).
    3. finally giving my boss the ability to crunch down on me means they push me out of my comfort zone more and i grow. I've had a job where i was paid for by the deliverables and not by hours at work. I could essentially choose what i wanted to do, which meant i could largely reject work that was boring. I quickly realised i was not developing in many areas, and then actively saught a senior who would push me in things i didnt like.
    My main motivation for property investing is family security - when i do finally have kids i want them to be able to dive head first into something they love. I don't want them to ever feel they need to "get serious and buy a house", unless of course they are like me and love buying houses.

big max, Gypsyblood and ellejay like this.
  14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's also the point when you can order extra guacamole on your burrito and not be worried about the additional cost.

Cheers

Jamie

hathro, ART, big max and 12 others like this.
  15. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

or bring your own guac ... heaps cheaper

16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great thread and touches on a thread i started a few days ago in regards to keeping debt for longer VS paying off PPOR via selling an IP in order to be more independent financially(for the above mentioned reasons) even if that means sacrificing some future capital gains

17. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    This is why we buy cash cows. We can pay off the PPOR with the surplus income generated by NRAS or Dual occ... rather than selling. End result = PPOR debt gone. Rental properties (and their incomes) retained.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your partner is a swinger? :p

MTR likes this.
  19. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

As an employer, I find this attitude a bit worrying.
    Sure there are good and bad employers, good and bad conditions, good and bad rates of pay.
    Nobody is forcing anybody to work anywhere, it's all choice.
    For that reason, employees really have no real reason to complain provided the employer is acting within the relevant state legislation.
    If you choose to work somewhere, you take the good with the bad and should appreciate a paycheck at the end of the week.
    If you don't like being told what to do or feel like you're getting used, you can start your own business, but ultimately you still get "told" what to do by your customers.

20. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

I would work for free. For me financial independence just means unlimited holidays and food.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF