Eye Glasses - potentially deductible for work?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Simpsons, 19th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Simpsons

Simpsons Well-Known Member

Could buying eye glasses be deductible for someone needing them for working, because their job is requiring them to be working on a computer and can't see properly without them?

Just like how the ATO allows sunglasses, sunscreen & other sun protection to be deductible for lifeguards, cops, etc.

Stoffo likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

ROFL - not tax advice.

ff3, Shogun, PurpleTurtle and 3 others like this.
  3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

By this logic all my food should be tax deductible as well because I really can’t work without eating!

Joynz likes this.
  4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

"ROFL - not tax advice"

fixed it just in case

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

...and fixed the case. :oops:

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Don't laugh! As IT ops manager I had to actually approve the purchase of a 27" monitor for staff back when 20" units were considered the norm based on OHS advice for "having trouble seeing the screen".... :oops: (be same as someone asking for a 32" 4K UHD these days).

The Y-man

7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

No - "You can't claim a deduction for the cost to buy or repair prescription glasses or contact lenses, even if you wear them while working. It's a private expense relating to a personal medical condition."

Glasses, contact lenses and protective glasses

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

@qak - spoil sport, why let the facts stand in the way of a good story? :p

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting!

The Y-man

Sunglasses, photochromatic glasses and anti-glare glasses (including prescription)
    You can only claim a deduction for the cost of sunglasses, and glasses with filtering and glare-reducing qualities similar to sunglasses (such as photochromatic glasses or anti-glare glasses) if wearing them:

• has the necessary connection with earning your employment income, and
    • protects you from the risk of illness or injury at work.
    You need to apportion expenses if you use the glasses for work and private purposes.

Example - prescription sunglasses and glasses

Sergei works as a landscaper and spends most of his days outdoors in the sun. He gets prescription sunglasses to help protect his eyes from the glare. When he is doing planning work in his office, he wears his regular prescription glasses.

Sergei can claim a deduction for his prescription sunglasses as they protect him from the risk of illness or injury while performing his work-related activity. The prescription glasses he wears in the office offer no protection and have the character of a private expense so he would not be able to claim a deduction for the cost of those glasses.

As Sergei wears his prescription sunglasses on his days off, he apportions the cost of his sunglasses to account for his private use.

craigc likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Simples

[​IMG]

Stoffo, Gockie and jared7825 like this.
  11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What about Blue Light glasses?

The Y-man likes this.
  12. Simpsons

Simpsons Well-Known Member

Had to ask, you never know if you don't ask :D:D

I'm sure not many would've thought sun protection for cops & lifeguards would've been an allowable deduction ;)

13. Scott No Mates

It's been around for the construction industry for about 30 years.

ff3 and Stoffo like this.
  14. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Most people here have bigger fish to fry than $10 on some sunscreen.

15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I've worked in various rolls where eye protection is mandatory.
    Plenty of people just ask that their prescription glasses be listed as "protective/safety eyewear" when purchasing so it becomes claimable:rolleyes:

Have a friend who worked in finance, he tried for several years to claim his hearing aids, he could hear general conversation ok but struggled to hear on the phone .......
    When he couldn't claim the hearing aids he tried to claim the batteries (they're not cheap either), in the end he went thru a lot of "calculator batteries" :p

16. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I would have thought it wouldn’t be because their employer should be providing this or reimbursing it.

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

A different issue with glasses and working.

I have a problem. I wear eye glasses. I take public transport to go to the office. Sometimes we are mandated to wear masks on public transport. My glasses fog up when I wear a mask and glasses at the same time. Can the tax office or the forum assist to fix this problem for me? #FWP

Btw. I found it's easy to work using my computer while sitting in a train, eg. Replying to emails. I now can get a seat to myself, whereas in the past pre-Covid you'd be packed in like a sardine and not have any elbow room. So, anyway, the trip is both directly related to my work, and it requires mask wearing, and the mask wearing is causing me glasses issues.

Last edited: 20th Jun, 2021
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No. Spectacles are not deductible for general work use. Spectacles are a medical appliance expense and medical expenses are specifically non deductible (based on old tax offset laws which have lapsed but the deductibility want changed). These cost are private as they are incurred to treat a personal medical issue. Protective eye wear may be deductible where it is specifically protective eg goggles, welding tint etc.
    Glasses, contact lenses and protective glasses

Gockies example also appears to indicate the glasses issue is travel related and travel to and from work is not deductible even where incidental work may be performed while travelling. Its not a mandated work requirement and would pose a Fair Work Act & Health & Safety concern if it were. Its mere convenience or a habit. Its not different to needing comfortable undies for work. Still non deductible.

Another example of private costs includes lunch while working and your drivers license, passport. Even if you are a truck driver or sale rep or airline crew member.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2021
    Simpsons and ff3 like this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

True.
    You can’t know for sure if your transport would be standing room only when you get on and pre Covid it was always “packed like sardines”.

Buses would be a no (the ride isn’t smooth enough), and sitting sideways on a metro train and typing on a keyboard is a no too.
    So it really depends on the service.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Just because you perform work doesnt mean costs are deductible.

Its why heaps of taxpayers pay penalties for what seem really dubious deductions. eg Claims for coffee, toilet paper and lunch while working from home during COVID. And also claiming 5000 km work use for their car when they used the car to go to officeworks to buy some paper and pens (once or twice). Claim three devices and two screens, a printer and many other costs incl internet and phone plus the 80c covid hourly rate. And they live with mum and dad. In these examples its possible little to nothing is deductible.