Extra cash ideas

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Robbo03, 25th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I think the cut off score is a little misleading and gives people the perception that people in the profession have low scores and do this because they cant get into anything else.

Many teachers, particularly secondary teachers, go into teaching after already obtaining a degree. I am a teacher, I received an ATAR in the 90s, did something else at uni and then went on to do a postgraduate teaching degree. I did my Masters at The University of Melbourne, an institution which doesn't even have an undergraduate degree, you can't even do teaching straight out of high school there. You need a degree with a minimum GPA to be guaranteed a place, and the ATAR required for a basic Arts Degree at Melbourne is 92.

In any event, if you're teaching in the lower year levels I'm not sure that a high ATAR necessarily means you will be a good teacher. Resilience and interpersonal skills are probably more important than your ability to write comparative essays on the text structures and features used by turn of the century modernist writers.

hobo and KayTea like this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

What do you, or are passionate about? I've been involved with skating for 40 years, so it was the natural choice for me. I know which products are good, which are crap, what parts to get, how to fix them, and where to get them from. I'm also not relying on the income either. That's being funnelled into debt reduction of my Trust. If I was reliant on the income, I'd probably work it a lot harder, or look for another avenue.

3. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

True @Beelzebub, but should people with such low scores actually be allowed to get into teaching? I know that there are a lot of great teachers, who are very highly qualified - I work with a number of Masters graduates, and plenty of teachers I work with have a done a lot of post grad work in a number of different areas. They are incredibly knowledgable, and have a lot to offer.

My concern is regarding those who can't get into anything else, because their score is so bad, but the universities will allow them to go into teaching. They can get in, not because they have the ability, or even the interest, but because there were no other options. I'm not sure I'd want my child to be taught by a teacher who lacked a lot of basic numeracy and literacy skills, and became a teacher because there was nothing else to choose from…..

4. Beelzebub

I agree, I think the way Melbourne is doing things is the way to go: Make teaching a post grad only qualification, so ATAR becomes irrelevant.

That also gives people who just scraped through a second chance. If you got a low ATAR and went to a regional university and did well, then who cares about your ATAR; clearly you figured out how it all works while you were at uni, so come on in.

KayTea likes this.
  5. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Happy Wife = Happy Life. Dont find out the hard way.

WattleIdo, legallyblonde and KayTea like this.
  6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Current vicious circle perhaps........

pinkboy

KayTea likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I doubt it's burn out it is just there aren't enough jobs so new grads go elsewhere

8. Beelzebub

I do see some concerning things.

Once, I was looking over a year 12 teachers marking and throughout the whole paper she had crossed out the capitalisation of the students use of Father. The only problem was the student was using Father as a proper noun and not a common noun. A minor point, but this is VCE English.

She was a VU grad (one of the low ATAR universities)

I should point out that some of the spelling and grammar in my posts aren't up to scratch, but it's an anonymous internet forum and I can't be bothered concentrating.

KayTea likes this.
  9. Beelzebub

Oversupply of grads is another issue. The 5 year burn out rate refers to people employed within the profession.

I think the thread has been hijacked, sorry.

KayTea likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I though it might have been for his wife to do something in 6-12 months time, as he said they have a buffer ... and being at home, with a baby/small child - although is very demanding physically (as I can attest to) - did leave me, as a semi-intelligent person, craving for some outlet or purpose other than changing nappies, feeding, cooking dinner and cleaning ...

legallyblonde and wylie like this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I found myself at one stage with a drastically reduced income and no capacity to earn any more.

I had no choice but to cut back on expenses. I found that there were many things which I had previously regarded as essential which were not.

Now that my income is much better my spending is much smaller than when I had the bigger income previously.

legallyblonde and JacM like this.
  12. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

Great points @geoffw and @pinkboy

More money and more working is probably not the answer for you mate, enjoy the time at home with baby and give your wife a break as much as possible ;)

WattleIdo and JDP1 like this.
  13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Back on the op...
    It's probably best you concentrate on your current job and the new bub.the last thing your wife will want you doing is spending any more time than you have too away from home. Unless there is something with minimal hours, but even still it's not worth it.

With both of you being teachers you'll need to adapt to Not having a routine or lesson plans! Bub calls the shots now! You guys just have to hold on for the ride!

My wife is a midwife and teachers are notorious for coming with their "birth plans " of biblical proportions of how its going to happen... Mother nature writes the plans! If you've done this I suggest throwing it away! Educate yourself on all the scenarios and possible outcomes and be prepared for anything but know your options and what's happening. Don't expect things to go to plan

Best of luck! It's a crazy life changing ride

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Don't be silly.. Motherhood is over-glorified... I deal with lots of parents at work and so many of them appear to be going insane without regular social interactions with adults (other than there partner), they also go stir crazy being stuck with the baby all day.. Then when they do see adults they get asked about the baby ect.... Haha I think finding a sideline business is GREAT for new mums.. When they are ready/ if they are willing/keen.

15. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Hehe that seems to be a really common experience... I cannot imagine it is intellectually stimulating work day in, day out!

16. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Care to share your own motherhood wisdom to back up that claim?

pinkboy

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Legally Blonde was replying to my personal experience ... yep - stir crazy and desperate for any adult connection. So much so that I'd even go down to the shopping centre (with baby in tow) just to be around other adults ... I think you will find most of the women on the forum, who are parents, feel the same.

18. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Do you think 'motherhood is over glorified' ?

pinkboy

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think it is one of the most important jobs - to teach you children to be contributing members of society - polite - respectful - imaginative - dynamic ... but yes ... the day to day grind of nappies and feeding and vomit and crying and cleaning and washing and cooking - with no one to talk to for 8-10 hours a day is waaaaaay overrated

wylie and skater like this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Personal Trainer?

The Y-man