Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Extra cash ideas

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Robbo03, 25th Oct, 2015.

1. Robbo03

Robbo03 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

So long story short, I am a teacher in Hobart with a management position, trained in Health and Physical Education, earning about $96k. My partner is also a teacher, earning about $75k and pregnant, due in Feb.

Next year we will be down to one income, and although we have a decent cash buffer and two basically neutral IP's, I am very keen to continue to see our offset funds increase during my partners year off.

So my very broad question is, does anyone have any ideas about ways to earn extra income that can be done in someones spare time? I understand that if there was an easy way to make spare $$$ everyone would be doing it but interested to hear peoples ideas.

Cheers

2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'm a teacher too, so following this one with interest.

But tutoring is usually a good gig. Also, while it may not earn you any extra $$$, look at putting some funds into your partner's super while she isn't earning (depending on how long she is taking off). It can be a positive for you (tax-wise), and also keeps her fund increasing while she's not earning, which will be of benefit later on.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Online business seems to be the go nowadays. Is there anything she is interested in, importing/making and selling?

Skater does well importing skates (and gear) and selling online ... I make and grow products that I sell online, at markets and via retailers ... I know there are others out there in Propertychat that do similar ... the secret is to find a niche.

Otherwise - tutoring could be a good gig to undertake from home, or in others homes, with a baby in tow - or she could leave the baby at home with you ;)

4. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

I'm Airbnbing.... admittedly it may not be ideal with a baby in the house though.

5. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

If she is good at writing, then a resume writing/improvement service may also be a go

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

Some suggestions

Dog walking seems to be in demand

There is also a shortage of dog groomers, short course at TAFE?.

7. pinkboy

pinkboy Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you are suggesting for your partner to be earning some extra $$$ being a first time mum with a newborn.....

.....then I suggest being a bit short $$$ wise the first 12mths and just enjoy/endure being parents.

pinkboy

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have a friend who tutors. She makes good money and only works as much as she wants to.

Your wife will have a baby, and there is no way can she tutor unless she has the baby minded. If she can sort out a babysitter (trusted neighbour who needs a little cash) maybe this is something that would work and she is entirely able to take on as much or as little as she likes depending on how things go. I think she charges $50 (or more) per hour, and if your wife can pay a neighbour $20 to mind the baby, she can still earn reasonable money whilst deciding if she wants to go back to work or might prefer to take on more home tutoring.

It would be good to get some students started now and perhaps over the end of year holidays so that she has some potential business once the new year starts and she is settled with the new baby.

Congratulations on the addition to the family :).

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Have also to agree with pinkboy as well though. I never understood until I had a baby that I would some days not be able to have a shower until lunchtime (unless I was happy to leave a crying or screaming hungry baby to do so). I soon learned to respect all mothers. It isn't easy doing what you have to do to keep a house running without taking on something else.

But even letting students and families know that tutoring might be offered some time mid year at least gives your wife some options if anybody is looking for it.

KayTea likes this.
  10. Robbo03

Robbo03 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I'm more thinking about me doing the extra work, and letting my partner enjoy being a mum! I think she'll probably be busy enough!

I like the idea of an online business/retailer because this can be done from home, in my own time and I don't have the pressure of appointment times etc. But, as mentioned by @Lizzie, I need to find a niche! Suggestions???

Lizzie and KayTea like this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I would write a short e-book on what you know about - childhood exercise and tackling future obesity, now.

Or something like that.

12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent Business Member

+1 for the tutoring idea. If you happen to stumble on a student that has a terrible teacher, you can end up with a big chunk of your client's class, which is what I found when I was tutoring maths during my uni years. This makes the tutor's life easier since your students are all covering the same material at the same time. It also opens up the possibility of pairing students up and tutoring them two at a time if needs be. I had a big bunch of students all from the one class one year. So many that I ran out of sensible timeslots and when a new student came along, the only timeslot I could offer was 1.30am, and she took it. Poor kid didn't have any other options. She was dangerously close to final year 12 exams, didn't know the material and didn't have long to learn enough of it to get through. I hear she got into Law so our strategy must have worked well for her :)

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2015
    KayTea and Gockie like this.
  13. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

That's what I was meaning when I suggested tutoring - for you to do a couple of sessions per week, not her.

14. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

I heard while attending a local auction that the teaching at my local primary school is quite bad and the teachers assume the kids can learn to write and do maths themselves! They get great Naplan results though. This parent said that it's because the parents send the kids to tutors to do the actual learning. Its a pretty well off area, with mostly Australian heritage so the teachers assume the kids already know basic English, which means they think they don't need to teach the kids.

This parent also said the other part of this postcode has many more immigrant kids who don't necessarily have English as a first language, and the school/s on the other side of the postcode also do well at Naplan because the teachers actually teach and don't assume the kids have the basics! (I think they also send kids to tutoring too though).

Anyway I would not have thought that the teaching could be that bad.
    Apparently some poor kid was asked to add up some large numbers for homework and got it all wrong. He was doing something like adding up the value of all the digits then adding all the 0's in the number into the final answer to give a totally wrong result.

Now, I personally never had any tutoring but it would have definitely helped to have a tutor with some of the harder maths concepts in years 11 and 12.

15. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'm a maths teacher, and I can't do maths at 1:30am - goodness knows how your student managed. :eek:
    Mind you, at that age, I could stay up all night - not a problem. Now, I consider anything past 9pm to be 'having a late night'. Don't get old! ;)

wylie and JacM like this.
  16. JacM

The 1.30am student I took on with 3 weeks to go till final year 12 exams. I took her through some questions and such to determine her level of understanding of each major topic. From memory there were three topics (eg trigonometry was one topic). I looked at which topic she knew the least of, and which topics could largely be learnt by repetition due to high use of formulae. Just changing the numbers around. I ditched one of the topics from day 1 and we focussed on the other two topics (because there were three topics on the exam and students were required to select two and answer questions on those two topics). So I hammered her brain with those two topics and didn't touch the other topic, because there just was not time. I told her parents that was the plan and they felt that was very sensible. I also told the student I would give her homework after each session and if she failed to do it even once I would drop her like a hot potato and she'd be on her own. I didn't need her ruining my track-record for results. She did her homework every single time and did well on her exam. Which is precisely the outcome a person wants when hiring a tutor.

Gockie and KayTea like this.
  17. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised, @Gockie (or maybe not). I know that not all universities are the same, but for many, the cut-off score needed to get into teaching (both primary and secondary) is pretty low - effectively, we can have students who have barely passed school themselves (or, in some cases, they really haven't 'passed') going on to become teachers! Kids leaving Year 12 can't get into a lot of university courses that they want to do, but they can get into teaching. I remember that, when I went through, you actually needed a better entrance score to become a primary teacher than to become a senior maths/physics/chemistry teacher :eek:

A lot of university cut-offs are based on demand to get into the course, more than the academic rigour of the course (and the ability of the students). I think one of the reasons for this is that - for the money and hours involved - teaching is not an attractive profession. By much of the community, we are seen as 'glorified babysitters', yet we are held accountable for every 'thing' every child does wrong, or doesn't achieve well at.

Currently, the burnout rate for teachers sees us losing half of all new graduates within their first five years of teaching. That says a lot, I think.

Off my soap-box now…………. :mad:

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

inertia, WattleIdo and KayTea like this.
  19. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

And I'm so glad that you've taken the same approach in your professional life, too, @JacM :D

20. JacM

@KayTea is right. Teaching is one of the uni degrees that leads to an incredibly important job for society, but may not always attract "the right people for the job" due to the low cutoff score required for entry. Of course there will be great people going into teaching. However not all will be great. The same applies to nursing.

bob shovel likes this.