External Window Sunshades - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Shady, 25th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Is it just a Queensland thing where people like them or are they a necessary eyesore?

I have them on both Brisbane properties and from a Sydneysiders point of view I think they're ugly as sin. Understand they're there to keep the place cool but was it just a 70's & 80's fad and they should all now be removed? It would definitely improve the street appeal.
    On I property I just bought it has these shades on the east, south and west facing windows. I'm about to do a little facelift to the outside of the place and wondered should I remove them. What has everyone else done?

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

West = essential
    South = pointless
    East = ???

Your alternative is plantings but these will take time to grow. So get planting and remove the ones that you don't need in a couple of years (repsray them if you need to)

Shady and wylie like this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would just leave it the way it is ,the way they are set up with vents then the sun must pump into those rooms,plus the summer storm season just about to start they protect the building,btw very straight brickwork in those solid walls..imho..

Joynz, Shady and wylie like this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Agree with this. Keep the western ones.
    I like the one that seems to be in the garden (???) ... in the photo, anyway. Nah, second thoughts, the plants/ palms should do the trick.
    Which photo is west?

Shady likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I reckon they have been installed and paid for (not cheap either) for a good reason.

I'd be leaving them there. You don't have to look at them if it is an IP and your tenants will possibly start asking for some shade or even move out after the first Brisbane summer without them.

Joynz and Shady like this.
  6. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

The long one in pic "sunshade 3" faces west. These cover 2 bedrooms which is good. These also face the street and detract from the street appeal.

Pic "sunshade 2", the big one which has a support in the middle of the garden covers the lounge room which faces South, this ones going and I'll clean up the garden, there's way to many trees covering this side.

Pic "sunshade 1" is over the main bedroom which faces east. I can sort of understand it for blocking out the morning sun but I would have though that a good set of curtains would do that too. Also the main bedroom had bugger all natural light and very little in the way of artificial light. Will be installing a fan/light combo plus some extra if it's easy.

Right, so the west ones have to stay, Bugger!

The external reno was to get a significantly increase the street appeal and then get a reval. My dodgey artist impressions attached. Looking at it a little closer you really cant see the west facing sunshades all that much from the street.

Attached Files:

wylie likes this.
  7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Love the one with the grey walls. Looks great!

Chrispy and Shady like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I cannot see the shade due to the greenery. I think they suit the style of the house and I'm glad it seems you've decided to keep them.

The others could go especially if the rooms aren't getting much light and you don't need the privacy or sun protection on those windows.

And I like both the dark and light fence. I guess dark will stay cleaner. Just painting out that green fence and the guttering will make a big difference.

Last edited: 25th Nov, 2016
    Shady likes this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Now seeing the house I agree with Wylie - cute little house. You have a square little house with lines that look perfect together; vertical and horizontal.
    However, imo hte pic that looks best is the first one: pre-reno. The green fence works well with the white wall and greenery imo.
    The gutter could do with a repaint but I kind of like it the way it is.
    I'd be putting the money elsewhere.
    Otherwise, dark wall, white guttering.

Last edited: 25th Nov, 2016
    Shady likes this.
  10. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Cheers,
    not so little...4/2/2.

1 Renita Street Aspley Qld 4034 - House for Sale #123755558 - realestate.com.au

As far as I can tell it's Modern Californian design like the 50's & 60's "Palm Springs USA"
    or Richard Neutra designed "copy". It just hasn't been maintained to the same style and needs to be brought back to it's former glory...or something close.

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

OK like on The Brady Bunch! Or Hotel California?
    Yeah, not little - I wasn't looking properly. Still, it has that modular charm. :p

12. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Wasn't expecting to replace drop down awnings on my upstairs & downstairs verandahs when I moved into my new home - soon found out they were essential to comfortable living. I would wait 12 months and observe which parts of the house are affected the most and which blinds are essential.

wylie likes this.
  13. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Great place. What rental return are you expecting? As is and after reno?