External reno on strata title

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Username86, 16th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

We are starting to look for a property for a reno in WA and we wondering if there is any complications or considerations if the property is attached or semi-detached. I would guess that in the case of body corp then there would be an approval process but when there isn't a body corp is there any laws that determine what can be done. ie cement render or painting one side of a common wall. Thanks

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

That kind of stuff generally requires a majority or all strata lot owners to agree - so depending on the strata scheme, could be close to impossible.

EDIT: Although I should add it might not be a problem at all in certain survey strata setups. My advice is to learn the different types of strata schemes and your rights in each scenario. There's a landgate manual about it available online I believe.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Username86

Thanks. Ill look it up.

4. Username86

So for a simple duplex you would need to get permission from the owner next door? Has anyone had any problems with neighbours objecting to improvements before?

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It may not be the improvements they object to. Unless done very well, alterations to one side could well devalue both.
    Marg

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah I see it all the time. I remember advising a recent owner who was willing to pay to upgrade everything - the other owner literally just had to sign and do nothing - and it was still being refused permission.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia