External Doors - Fibreglass?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Vassago, 1st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

I have a problem with a few IPs that have external doors in the elements (no eaves) for the garage or storage room. Even with paint the doors appear to only last 5-6 years before rotting / expanding (hollow external doors).

Got 7 to do, so trying to come up with a longer term solution and looking at fibreglass doors, something like these

http://www.doorsplusnofuss.com.au/6...ditions-with-climactive-fibreglass-doors.html

Anyone had any experience with them?

Also is it possible to replace a wooden door frame with a metal frame?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Or you could try solid timber (external doors) painted top and bottom to stop moisture getting in. The hollow core doors you are using, are, I suspect for internal use.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

@Vassago
    How'd you go with this?
    I've just had one fitted after a break-in, price was comparable to solid, reckon its supposed to be stronger (atho they'll get in if they really want), finish looks great however warranty void if not painted

4. Vassago

Have change my mind (for other reasons) and am now looking at selling one of the IPs with this issue.

As such it is no longer urgent and will replace the remaining 6 doors all together in a couple of months.

5. Vassago

They were all cheap external hollow doors, not interior doors.

6. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I generally use external grade solid core doors with a marine ply. It is essential that the door is sealed and fully painted.

Any savings you make by cutting corners using internal doors is lost in the lack of durability. Just like using the wrong timber for inground or external applications.