Exterior Cladding on 1950's Fibro - Options

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by JezandCrissy, 15th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

Hi All, been a while since last posting!

I just wanted to get some advice and options for our renovation.

We have a 1950's Fibro home in Brisbane northside. The exterior is currently clad with aluminium cladding over fibro and we were looking at our options to re-clad and if it is worth considering removal of the asbestos. Out current thought is to have the current cladding removed, battening the exterior then cladding with scyon linea and wanted to hear from people who have re-clad their homes and their experiences. We arent a fan of the vinyl clads like Abbey Thermal boards and are wanting to be able to paint ourselves.

We are looking at having these works done professionally so any Brissy people with tradies they could refer would also be greatly appreciated.

This is our PPOR

Cheers in advance.

Jeremy

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can't help with the cladding question, but we've had several houses with asbestos removed by Total Asbestos.

Home

3. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

Cheers wylie. What sort of price per sqm roughly were they?

4. wylie

I've no idea, sorry. First time we used them, we got a couple of asbestos removers out to quote for the job. Total was competitive and probably cheaper, but I really liked Somah and trusted him to do a good job.

When we find someone who is friendly and does a good job, we stick with them.

(And, of course, price to remove will depend on what type of asbestos you have.)

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

And whether the removalist abides by the industry code If practice .

6. wylie

Yes. That is one of the reasons we chose Total. We trusted them. For one house, they requested us to have two areas tested. Had the tests come back proving it was friable (from memory), it was a fully sealed, controlled air set up that would be required, plus paying an inspector to be on site for the duration. Luckily this wasn't required.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

proably best to get an asbestos remover and a chippy/builder

Once the asbestos is removed you'll be back to the timbers so they new material can go straight on. I just had the Scyon axon put on after removing asbestos. The axon comes in sheets and is much easier to install imo as it is in larger sheets rather than the individual strips.

Depending on the size of the house it could be a costly exercise. Is there a budget you have in mind? is it ppor or IP?

are you removing for aesthetics or because its asbestos?

8. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

Hi Bob, it is our PPOR and budget to be defined depending cost i.e. we will save what is required. Reason is aesthetics currently is clad is an old aluminium cladding sort of mimicking weatherboard.