Extent of Mining Town Despair

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by C-mac, 5th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Exactly. None of them were complaining when they were making 10%+ yields and charging FIFO workers $1000+ a week.
    Pilbara mining rents: the seven most expensive WA boom towns

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Nope it was during this time they should have been paying down debt instead of bragging about it at bbq's and calling themselves astute investors

HUGH72, kierank and ellejay like this.
  3. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

Looks like a great place for apprentices to practice their skills...with supervision :)

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

We don't hear much about this in the east. I have a friend in Perth. It was a surprise the other day when she said that it's getting awkward going to BBQs because so many people have lost their jobs and she feels a bit guilty being okay - gov't job.

5. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

how bad is the economy in Perth especially the mining towns, e.g. Karratha or Port Hedland?

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

very bad, 45% drop in values and rents in Port Hedland, Karratha, Newman.
    Especially those who have purchased at peak will feel the pain, as I mentioned $1,000,000 around 2013/14, image 45% drop in value. The rents at the time were probably around $1800-2000 pw, image also 45% drop. Hard to get rid of stock.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Have a read of this
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s/news-story/e10bf385317adbe28c6eae75f55e9162

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

mrdobalina, Pixie, samiam and 4 others like this.
  9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Nothing new.
    You really got to expect to lose sometimes when taking part in speculative investments.
    They know, or should know the risk vs reward when entering, so if it doesn't go your way then too bad, so sad.
    Dude selling in the OP may have had many other good payoffs in the past that have gone his way.
    Could have been some play money he was throwing around.
    No need to feel sorry for them when you don't even know their situation or past experiences.

10. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

can't read the link?

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not just mining towns, just making bad decisions or ignoring markets etc etc
    I think its something like 80% developers lose money??
    We have also read where people buying in regional towns, with 1 dog, 1 horse have lost money, or just cant sell.

Also just posing a question does anyone think investors holding property that is negatively geared for 10 years where they have had no growth is losing money? the banks wont let them off the hook....Not trying to be silly, but a serious question?
    All investing is speculative because many buy hoping for growth, just read threads on Brissy and Adelaide and no one expects rents to fall, investors do their calculations on rents when they buy, same with interest rates not rising.

MTR:)

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2016
    Orion likes this.
  12. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I would agree 80% of developers lose money, the more risk the more reward but also more risk means more people lose money too.

I know of investors who NG and have retired comfortably well before 60, typically NG properties are ones in Syd, Melb, Bris where people are banking on capital gains to come. Lower risk, lesser rewards lesser chance of losing money slower financial freedom. Think of someone who bought in Port Headland if you bought at a property every 100k increased value and sold at the peak you would have 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 or 8 houses for 4.4M and if sold at 1M each that is 8M or 3.6M profit in 8 years.

Lets say you had 3M clear profit after all expenses if you were able to achieve 5% p.a. that is 150k p.a. a year you would be receiving. So if you started at 30 you would be retired before 40.

Retire in less than 8 years on 150k not bad hey!

However the NG ones buying stock that doesn't flacturate immensely wont get rich quick. Typically these houses will double in 10 years (not all houses double in 10 but it is pretty common in Syd, Melb, Bris) and you buy every time it doubles. Using rough numbers 200k, 400k, 800k and wait 10 years - equals 3 houses paid 1.4M worth 4.8 or 3.4M.

Again lets just say 3M is the takeaway, the only thing this way took 30 years (10 to 400, 10 to 800 and 10 to 1.6M). So if you started at 30 you would retire at 60 roughly speaking.

Again I have factored in a heaps of costs but I have posted it somewhere on the forum before.

However I think it demonstrates the NG/Slow and steady vs high risk/high reward.

willair and kierank like this.
  13. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

We had two properties that were NG to the extend of $250K+ during 2005 - 2011. Fortunately granny flats and interest rates have fixed things quite a bit and of course the Sydney boom has made that pain worthwhile - but they still don't generate any cash.

We have used the equity to invest elsewhere - but none of them generate much cash either.

The NG losses were very real but took a while to realise - doesn't fit your scenario but we very nearly sold them because of NG and no CG.

MTR likes this.
  14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

While it may be understandable that people may think values could not drop so far, you would have to be a real green to think 2k a week in rent income could last for long ?

But then again many getting 500/week would/will be shocked if they lose any of the latest CG in Sydney too, people are buying 900k houses near me for 500 return, they must feel confident that Sydney is going to party forever :)

2FAST4U, Ted Varrick and MTR like this.
  15. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Its just life - you win and lose and have to be prepared to take the hits if you want to play the game. A lot of people have a fantasy about investing and what it really takes to succeed.

mrdobalina and MTR like this.
  16. Kate Moloney

Really what it comes down to is having unrealistic expectations. Unrealistic expectations are disappointments waiting to happen. Its easy to judge others who are in these circumstances, but when prices plummet literally over night, people are going to feel extremely challenged and have moments of disappointment, anger, blame, depression etc. Its human behaviour, we all do it. The beauty is many do move towards acceptance and solutions. Its a process.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Welcome back Kate been a while since you posted

All the best:)

Kate Moloney likes this.
  18. Kate Moloney

Thanks @MTR ,have been checking in regularly, just haven't had much to contribute.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Hi Kate, just wondered (in all seriousness) how your recent book is going?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia