Expert please help: second dwelling on a lot (LDRZ, Yarra Ranges Council)

Discussion in 'Development' started by live-in-upwey, 12th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. live-in-upwey

live-in-upwey Member

First of all I plan to build a second dwelling on my property.

Before I approach the Yarra Ranges Council, I'm seeking expert advise from where I should start.

I also have the following questions:

1. Regarding Victorian law, why the granny flat cannot be rented out? This helps create the household income in general.

2. Why a second self-contain dwelling is generally been hindered from being developed and rented out?

For example, as per Clause 32.03 (http://planningschemes.dpcd.vic.gov.au/schemes/vpps/32_03.pdf) two dwellings are allowed on the lot but permitted is required. But every time I approach the council, the second self-contain dwelling is not allowed to be developed, why? What criteria must be met so that the application is allowed and will be successful?

As per info found on the Council website (Can I build a second house on my property? - Yarra Ranges) however, clause 55 (http://planningschemes.dpcd.vic.gov.au/schemes/vpps/55.pdf) does not include LDRZ zone. I have found the info make available to the public is not very clear and ambiguous.

Or the policy, laws and regulations are there so that the population have to invade more land (and spread horizontally instead of vertically) because only 30-35% of the existing property can be used and developed!

Why some lots in LDRZ are allowed to have more than 2 dwellings? My lot is between these and why it has been treated differently? For examples, there are 3 dwellings on 25 Griffiths Rd, Upwey and 5 dwellings on 71 Morris Rd, Upwey => Please check against IntraMaps 2012

2. live-in-upwey

live-in-upwey Member

For me, self-contain dwelling includes bed rooms, living rooms, bath rooms, toilets, kitchens, laundry and etc.

3. Mike Sargeant

Mike Sargeant Active Member

I'd suggest anyone developing additional dwellings on their properties in your LDRZ are able to meet a minimum lots size? Refer to the schedule to your Zone's and subdivision requirements or
    speak to Council specific to your property. To answer your 2 questions as best I can.....

1. A granny flat (dependent persons unit) is just that. Not conceived for people to derive an income but to support a dependent person. Technically once that person isn't using the 'flat', it shouldn't be used. Having said that, a fair bit of it goes on.

2. You're in a Low Density residential Zone. The intention is not to provide additional housing, but larger lots.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It may pay you to have a meeting with a town planner familiar with the local council requirements and zoning to find out exactly what you can legally do.
    Marg

MTR likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I don't know much about accounting, zoning in Melb or Perth, legal contracts and in fact I absolutely hate the stuff so I pay for a town planner, an accountant and a lawyer and it seems to work well.

Tufan Chakir, Sackie and Marg4000 like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that. Detest most of that stuff with a passion. I have just enough understanding to know what I need to and then I leave it to the experts to find the best outcomes for what we want. The key as I'm sure you know is to make sure you surround yourself with highly capable people in their respective fields, then you oversee the operation. The way I see it, our job as CEOs is to manage the people and processes.

Tufan Chakir and MTR like this.
  7. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

It is not "as of right"
    The planning provisions allow a permit to be sought for a second dwelling - this means you can apply, but you may or may not obtain a permit - that will depend on particular circumstances.
    It won't be a "granny flat" unless you genuinely want something for a "dependant person" - other comments here are accurate about that.
    Seek independant planning advice rather than approach the Council first

8. live-in-upwey

live-in-upwey Member

Thank you for your reply.