Exercising pest and building clause

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by beachgurl, 9th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I have a signed contract on a property I am selling and the buyer has sent instructions regarding repairs to be made to the property prior to settlement and to provide evidence of repairs from a licenced carpenter. The items are - fix a hinge on a door, paint match a small patch on a wall, repair a patch of pilling carpet and removing some grass from a drain.

Do these items fall within those whereby a buyer can rescind the contract, and is it a legal requirement that I have a licensed tradesman do this, rather than a handyman?

My solicitor has contacted me asking for my advice - I thought that was their job. Anyway, I'd like to hear if this is standard tactics in qld to get a price reduction or to get out of a contract.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I doubt these would be grounds to crash a contract. Throw the questions back to the solicitor for clarification.

A carpenter won't fix carpet or remove grass from a drain!

Your solicitor is probably asking for instructions, asking what you want to do.

Many buyers seem to think that any minor defect in a B and P report is grounds to renegotiate the price. When we sold my mum's 60 year old house we priced it according to its condition, which was pretty good. We made it clear to the RE agent to tell any prospective buyer that we were selling as-is and, unless a B and P report showed major problems we would not be changing the contract price. All went well.
    Marg

luckyone and wylie like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They sound like wear and tear to me.

Non-issue & push back.

Terry_w and Stoffo like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Those items sound like they would have been visible at the inspection.

I'd be inclined to say "no" to them all, but it will come down to how badly you need to settle, whether you want to play "chicken" with the buyer, so many things.

Those items sound simple to fix, and I'd be really peeved if a purchased tried that on. But, if you don't want to risk losing this buyer, if the price is right, then you could spend a few hundred doing them just to stop them walking.

Whether they can walk from this contract for this silly little things will depend on the wording of the contract, especially regarding the B&P report.

We've (a couple of times) allowed a grand or two grand to simply get it signed and unconditional rather than risk going through the whole thing again. A property can easily go stale, staging costs come into play etc. Sometimes, much as you might want to sat "stuff you" to these petty buyers, it makes financial sense to give a little.

Still makes my blood boil though when they try this on.

And we've also stood our ground when we've sensed it is purely a try on for a few thousand and they've caved in.

Jacque and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Solicitor is asking what you want to do because they cannot make decisions but can act on your directions.

Depending on the wording of the B&P clause will depend if they can claim if it only mentions structural issues tell them to get lost as this doesn't form part of the agreement.

However if the wording does cover this (e.g. to their satisfaction) then it is now up to you. I personally would tell them to get lost as these are wear and tear and if all were visible on inspection then they should of accommodated that on their offer when first submitted BUT if is a slow market and there are very few buyers and you need to move on to the next stage then you will need to weigh up if it is worth agreeing.

You can also counter their conditions by saying a handyman and/or excluding - you are negotiating still.

My grandparents had a B&P come back with similar stuff (but about 30/40 items) and they were after a 3k reduction (approx. 700k purchase), they told them to get lost and they can either rescind their contract and they will go to the 40 other people who inspected the property that day or they can proceed... They proceeded without change.

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Did they request these through a solicitor? These are such stupid little things! Check with your solicitor but I don't think they could hold up settlement for such trivialities or issues that would have existed at the time of inspection.

7. beachgurl

Thanks for your replies. Yes they were delivered via their solicitor stating safety issues.

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What are conditions they are operating under?

In Victoria it is common to have a pest and building clause regarding 'major defects' or major structural,issues. What clause has been used here?

At the very most, I would give $500 reduction. Or just say no.

wylie likes this.
  9. Big Will

That grass in a drain you got to be careful you never know what could be hiding in there and I hear it will attack without warning and mainly when the house is asleep :rolleyes:

Like I said your call as I don’t have all the information like you about market conditions and interest plus your situation but they are bluffing imho.

craigc, wylie and Joynz like this.
  10. Big Will

The really sad part is that the purchaser would likely have destroyed any goodwill in the transaction for pretty much $500 on a $x00,000 purchase.

craigc and wylie like this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A carpenter cant do any of the highlighted jobs. The request is flawed as a result. Replce a hinge - FFS. Thats a 3 min job . Next - Get a licensed sparkie to mow the lawns too. LOL

These are simple condition items and trivial. If the contract didnt have a minor defects to be fixed agreement they cant come back and ask afterwards. It would never end. Your solicitor should just say that and decline the request. What did the solicitor advise ?? Its their job to advise you on a decision.

Jacque and wylie like this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

All property can be unsafe. Now they know there is a issue the owner can make it safe. No warranty about safety is given I would assume. Sold as-is.

13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

How did you go with this @beachgurl ? Curious to know :)

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Always wondered if I needed a sparky to change a spark plug :confused:

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I would reduce a couple hundred and see what they say. Not worth tanking a deal over your offended feelings at the request. Its business leave feelings out of it.

16. beachgurl

No offended feelings here - I've just never gone to that level to squeeze a but more out.

I ended up agreeing to the conditions and it looks like it will cost me under $400. My solicitor gave no real advice - said it was up to me. I just wanted it done. Then they wanted to extend the finance clause as banks are slow right now. Another piece of BS that i called the purchaser out on so they realised they were pushing it too far in the end and went unconditional.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sorted everything out for $400?
    Count that as a win!
    Marg

beachgurl and qak like this.
  18. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

In QLD the B&P is at the Buyer's absolute discretion. They can pretty much always walk. They can also ask for pretty much anything in return for waiving their rights under that clause. Doesn't mean the seller has to yes, or that there is any legal or reasonable basis for the works they request. The negotiation over waiving a B&P does not have to be reasonable, it is purely up to the parties to agree.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When my mother was selling houses, she used to tell us to tighten up the standard clause to be harder for a buyer to walk on a silly little thing. Does beefing up the B&P clause work these days?

20. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Absolutely.

Special Condition Would Read Like
    Building and Pest Condtion
    1. The Standard Building and Pest Condition (?.?) is Deleted.
    2. The Buyer may Terminate this Contract within 7 days of the Contract Date should a licensed building and/or pest inspector find:
    (a) Structural Damage;
    (b) Active Termites within the Building;
    (c) Current water leakage inside the roof or walls.