Health & Family Exercise strategies / recovery

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Owlet, 8th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you want to train/exercise when you are injured then you need to be very careful as you know. I'm exercising with a torn labrum in my hip so I went and saw a physio and talked about what exercise I can do, what I should modify and what I shouldn't do.

It might be a good idea to see an exercise physiologist or physio. I know my Mum does pilates at a physio rehab centre and it's very good. I just did a google for what is similar in Melbourne so you can see what it is Studio/Rehab Pilates - Balance & Control Pilates

Owlet and Perthguy like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I bought a spin bike a couple of months ago and do 15 mins HIIT every second evening, helps burn fat off so easy

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

In short, no.

Burning fat relies on calorific deficit, ie eating less than you burn. It doesn't matter how 'fit' you are, if you body burns 2000cal/day and you eat 2500cal/day then you will gain fat. If you eat 1800/day you will burn fat.

If you're training hard, then you'll eat more than someone who doesn't train as much.

MTR likes this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

A friend started doing that... I might have to look in to it.

5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

So easy huh? What if I do multiple 15min HIIT sessions during 1 training? I should be skinny as a rake. Instead, they call me 'the bus'! :(

pinkboy

tobe, Bran and Phase2 like this.
  6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

'the bus' = "the business"? :)

7. 158

158 Well-Known Member

No, because I'm as wide as a bus and they all like to draft me - especially in wind!

Bsatards don't even buy tickets!

pinkboy

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Here's a tip... there is no form of exercise that can be guaranteed to "burn fat".

Every form of exercise will increase your body's calorie burn, and provide some form of health benefits (improved strength, or mobility, joint conditioning, blood circulation etc). That's the good bit.

The bad bit, is that exercise (particularly cardio for me) will make you hungrier than normal and if you don't control what you eat, then your fat-burn probably won't happen.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Cos everyone's had a ride?

inertia likes this.
  10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, but pretty sure I'm all over it!

I was just initially mocking @DaveM :D

pinkboy

DaveM likes this.
  11. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

sorry it wasn't meant for you, just a general post to the thread... I figured you had that sussed already. I read one of your posts re: 48hr endurance riding!?? awesome stuff

158 likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The hunger response to exercise isn't universal, it varies from person to person. Walking and short running sessions (interval training < 30 minutes) do not make me hungrier. Although, when I used to cycle for 12 to 14 hours on a weekend ride, I sure did get a lot hungrier.

I have found that food selection has the biggest impact for me. If I eat any food made from white and sugar for every meal, by about 4 or 5 o'clock, I feel so hungry that can easily lose my temper for not reason. This is from experience of eating that type of food for breakfast, morning tea, at lunch and afternoon snack. I ended up having to stop doing that because it made me really sick. Once I switched to non-processed carbs for food, my appetite issues resolved immediately.

You are right about controlling what you eat though. I can go hard for a 30 minute interval training session and replace those calories in about 90 seconds with poor food selection ;)

Back to your original claim that in some people, exercise makes them hungrier... research has shown you are right, in some people:

Summary: The biological and behavioural responses to acute and long-term exercise are highly variable, and these responses interact to determine the propensity for weight change. For some people, long-term exercise stimulates compensatory increases in energy intake that attenuate weight loss. However, favourable changes in body composition and health markers still exist in the absence of weight loss. The physiological mechanisms that confer susceptibility to compensatory overconsumption still need to be determined.
    Acute and long-term effects of exercise on appetite control:... : Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care

158 and Phase2 like this.
  13. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

yeah... donuts damn it. Hot cinnamon donuts... oh and cake.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Roughly, that exercise session could "burn" around 350 calories. That's between 3 and 4 apples. I could not eat 3 or 4 apples in 90 seconds. Food selection! :)

15. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I reckon I could. Is there a WR? :p

pinkboy

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This was always my problem. No draft when I'm behind someone. Massive draft behind me. Made it very hard to win a race.

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This is me as well. I couldn't really understand why I got so irritable all the time - to the point that people would bring Snickers bars for me for when I turned into Betty White. Since dumping the processed carbs, I've hardly turned a hair. More pleasant for everyone.

18. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

My understanding (and a little bit of lived experience) is yes, initially when doing cardio exercise you get hungrier, and yes, it can prompt you to eat more than you are 'burning'.
    However over time the body adapts to burn fuel more efficiently, and you don't 'need' as much fuel. You might still want to eat more, and might still act on those cravings obviously.

I think that also after you do cardio, your body is still burning fuel at a higher rate for some time afterwards. It isn't a simple calculations of energy in, energy out. HIIT is more efficient, and primes the body to burn longer than low intensity training. So theoretically 500mtrs sprinted is going to burn more calories than a kilometre walked/jogged.

Or that's what I read on facebook and saw on the telly once.... .

158 likes this.
  19. Perthguy

Changing perceptions of hunger on a high nutrient density diet

Changing perceptions of hunger on a high nutrient density diet

Bran likes this.