Executor responibilities re property sale of estate

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by Propertunity, 9th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I'm asking on behalf of a relative.

Situation is that 5 siblings (2 brothers & 3 sisters) inherited a rural property in Qld following their mother's (a widow) death. The eldest brother is executor of will. The will stated that the property should be first offered to the brothers who had first right of refusal. If the brothers did not want to buy it then it was to be offered for sale with the proceeds split 5 ways between the siblings. The brothers did not want to buy it.

Fast forward 12 months and the property is not listed for sale. The executor is uncommunicative with most of the siblings, who simply want the property sold. They've heard that the executor is planning on putting a tenant (a relative) into the property.

What are the responsibilities of the executor in this instance? How can he be made to sell the property and distribute funds? Is there a time limit?

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Lawyers at 20 paces throwing law books at each other? Hope not

3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you hear of this all too regularly; siblings squabbling over "The Will".
    I would of thought the Executors responsibility was to adhere to the instructions within the Will. The siblings need to seek legal advice as to their options. 12 months seems a little long to not have dealt with the matter. Probably going to get ugly!

qak likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Isn't there a legal responsibility to deal with the will as per the instructions with penalties for not doing so?

If I was one of the other siblings, I'd be engaging a lawyer to advise the executor of his legal responsibilities and the ramifications of not doing so.

But I'm no lawyer, and that is just my understanding.

We need @Terry_w to jump in here.

hobartchic likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Executor has fiduciary duties and can be personally sued for breaching these. The will contains the rules they must follow plus the relevant legislation.

They should take a copy of the will to a lawyer.

6. Propertunity

The will does not mention timing of when a sale is to be made, just who gets the funds. I thought there might be CGT implications if it drags out timewise.

7. Terry_w

The will probably gives the executor the power to sell at any point. There may be CGT implications.

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  9. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Has Probate been lodged? Sometimes this can take a decent length of time if Estate is complicated.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Terry_w

Executor may have a duty to rent it out too - to maximise returns.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends too who the parties are and what they want. Some want $$$ asap and others are patient and accepting of issues etc. And when a executor is beneficiary they tend to not. Some estates simple and others complex especially where land assets are involved - Offshore even.

12. Propertunity

Just a continuation of the saga. One of the 5 beneficiaries wants to own the property and can payout the other 4 which everyone seems ok with. Can the beneficiary buying do so in their own SMSF?

I know you cannot transfer resi property in your own name into your SMSF but how would it be in this situation?

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Terry_w

Prob not if they are also executor. As would be acquisition from related party. Need legal advice on the legal and equitable aspects.

Perthguy, hobartchic and Propertunity like this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No. The person transferring is the executor - Who is a relative. If the executor had been an arms length person eg lawyer that problem may have been avoided. s66 of SISA prohibits the transfer.

Propertunity likes this.
  15. Propertunity