Exciting sustainable developments

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 26th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay - going out on a limb here, into territory I thought I'd never encroach on - but after watching "Inside Bill's Mind" on Netflix - S1E3 regarding the development of the travelling wave reactor - and doing some research ...

The reason why I - and most people - are anti-nuclear is the safety and waste issues. The reactors currently in operation, and being built, were developed with technology from the 1940-60's with no real advancement since ... enter stage left with Bill Gates' interest, energy and funding to develop the Travelling Wave Reactor (TWR)

The Traveling Wave Reactor: Design and Development - ScienceDirect

In simple language - the TWR uses fuel from spent uranium rods (normal reactors only use 10% of the enriched uranium before being considered spent) and uses the remaining 90% over a period of no-less-than 10 years - the US alone has enough spent uranium in storage to power the entire country for 160 years using TWR technology - TWR works under ambient atmospheric conditions (no heating or cooling required) even in the event of a catastrophe so the dangers of leaks or meltdowns is removed ...

... I'm finding the whole thing fascinating and apologise to anyone who may have pointed me in this direction before, but I ignored them. Sorry

The only downfall is that TerraPower and the Chinese government were all set to build a prototype trial plant in China, when politcis of a trade war got in the way (and the US government banned any US company from engaging in any co-operation of this type with China). Hoping that barrier is soon removed and the technology can move forward

4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Yeah, was very interesting hey? I was never a fan of Gates for some reason, only watched the doco mini series out of boredom and he went from someone I never paid much attention to to someone right up at the top of my list of people to be admired. What an incredible shame the trade war got in the way, so close to having a working prototype type! Hopefully they can get things moving again (though judging by how Bill came across, I imagine he'll be doing all he can to get this thing going).

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Propagate likes this.
  9. Propagate

I think we'll see a ramp up of new EV's coming soon, the big mobs will have to start spending even heavier on R&D to make sure they get their market share as the UK has brought forward their sales ban on new petrol & diesel cars by 5 years to 2035. That's only a short 15 years away.

How will the petrol and diesel car ban work?

George Smiley and Lizzie like this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Starting this year, we'll be introducing the SDGs into the final year unit I teach at uni and the concept of C2C (Cradle to cradle)

While we love some of the innovations that come along, people still need to think of the "bigger picture" - the entire footprint of the product/service - as well as the tradeoffs between the various SDGs (i.e. benefiting one or two SDGs at the price of adversely affecting another)

Sustainable Development Goals | UNDP

The Y-man

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

George Smiley likes this.
  12. Propagate

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's developments like that that have me scratching my head in bewilderment that our government isn't investing it's $4.4bil subsidies (given to Adani) into technology such as this ... or even the $4mil being slated for investigating a new power station

Propagate likes this.
  14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Try burning that on large scale in bio plants next to people living in their houses?
    Perhaps some should watch the latest film on renewables and get the facts (Planet of the Humans by Michael Moore)?
    I am sure in due course this documentary will disappear?
    It's a long documentary so I wonder how many will watch till the end?

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I was just thinking about this reply in today's world.... maybe this is a "population adjustment" that was unfortunately going to happen.....

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Especially if no lasting vaccine is formulated ... like worth the flu ... combating the medical advances of keeping people alive beyond their natural lifespan

17. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to every human being being responsible for their actions, unlike thinking that others will solve all our challenges.
    However, it is always good to be open minded, be aware and stay informed from all points of view and then make up your own mind.

Archaon and Lizzie like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Wow - advancements made in the big stuff:

"A team of researchers at the Institute of Technological Sciences at Wuhan University has demonstrated a prototype device that uses microwave air plasmas for jet propulsion ...
    The prototype plasma jet device can lift a 1-kilogram steel ball over a 24-millimeter diameter quartz tube, where the high-pressure air is converted into a plasma jet by passing through a microwave ionization chamber. To scale, the corresponding thrusting pressure is comparable to a commercial airplane jet engine.

By building a large array of these thrusters with high-power microwave sources, the prototype design can be scaled up to a full-sized jet"

A Jet Engine That Runs on Air and Electricity?

19. random

random Well-Known Member

Just read Britian's completely turned off all coal power and have been running completely on renewables now 60 days due to the lockdowns and low usage but say they aren't turning any coal stations back on , ever. The 60 days has been their longests stint but they're still producing more than enough power for normal times now , with reenewables . And here's our ***** still ranting on about clean coal.

Lizzie likes this.
  20. random

random Well-Known Member

Afraid so , l'm surprised more Aussies aren't aware of our os fame these days , and it ain't pretty , thanks to boof head.
    The stupidest thing is , we're blessed with sun and wind, more than most , and lots of ocean. Britians main is some ocean generating come wind thing , haven't looked at it just read a little about it in something else.

You were saying in your other post about some liquid solar thing , l remember saying back in the Sommesoft forum yrs and yrs ago that l believe one day not too far away rather than huge areas of solar panels there's a way they just haven't found it yet , of maybe capturing the same with only some small cube or pyramid panel or something . Australia has the opportunity in abundance to find this , meanwhile at least put every house on solar . Remember , our laptop use to fill a whole room not that long ago.
    We also have great opportunities to find a use or create something out of waste seems as we're one of the most wasteful countries in the world rather than send it to China, l mean how bloody ridiculous l can't believe they even take it.

Lizzie and Propagate like this.