Exciting sustainable developments

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 26th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have to chuckle - hubby works in coal - don't knock it, a lot of coal workers are also ardent greenies underneath, but the pays good and they graduated with coal specialities waaaaaay back when - and he's sitting in on a series of interviews for new apprentices next week.

He was asked to supply two questions of which he did ... one being ... what are you doing to reduce your personal carbon footprint? ... the second ... do you believe there is a future for coal?

That should put the cat among the pigeons :D

theperthurbanist, lixas4 and sharon like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Presumably, a coal worker would reduce their carbon footprint by wiping their feet?

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Listened to the guy who runs this company, on the radio yesterday, and - even tho not sustainable - was very exciting.

He said that jetpacks are currently commercially viable to manufacture, just that government needs to catch up with regulations (identify take off and landing ports etc). I can see this as a mode of transport within 5 years!

Apparently works burning diesel fuel - but they are working on a hydrogen model. Can get up to 300km/hr, to a height of 5,000, and are computer controlled to prevent collisions. They are starting trials in Melbourne, Dallas and Los Angeles - of multiple ports and hire facilities

I notice there is already somewhere to "have a go"

Sydney Jetpack Flyboard Adventures Hire

Not sure where you'd put the dog and groceries tho ;)

5. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

You could place the meat underneath the exhaust so it's cooked by the time you get home. I'll leave it for others to determine if a dog is included or not in the definition of meat.

Archaon likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

ooooo - wah! :eek:

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Propagate and SatayKing like this.
  9. SatayKing

Heard on the radio solar installers in Victoria are not happy about the way the State Government's incentive scheme has been implemented.

Political opportunism (?) does not exactly equate to good planning it seems.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and don't forget the plants. Science has shown that regeneration of soils with carbon sequestering humus - and the re-establishment of forests - are the two most important things humans can do to stagnate climate change

Can 'Supercharged' Plants Solve the Climate Crisis?

12. SatayKing

Some interesting research coming out from the ANU according to this article.

Nature holds key to limitless renewable fuel supplies: ANU scientists

"Scientists in Canberra have identified a process used by plants which they say could be harnessed to make a limitless supply of cheap renewable hydrogen fuel and position Australia as a world-leader.

The scientists, from the Australian National University, have identified for the first time an important photosynthetic process that enables plants to split water cells into hydrogen and oxygen components.

Lead researcher Dr Nick Cox said if humans could split water the way nature did, society would have an endless supply of cheap hydrogen fuel for transportation, without the carbon emissions that contributed to climate change.

"Enough sunlight hits the Earth in a single hour to power all human activity for over a year," Dr Cox said.

"Plants use this harvested energy to split water and make complex carbohydrates, which provide food for the plant to grow and thrive.

"This process also enriches our atmosphere with oxygen for animals, including humans, to breathe.

"Copying this process from nature would lead to new and improved renewable energy storage technologies."

More.."

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Fascinating ... I know it's not actually "removing" CO2 from the equation if the resultant fuel is then burnt and reverts back to CO2 ... but it does close the production of CO2 loop and gives other options (such as kelp farming) time to take effect.

Also remember - we don't create or lose any chemicals or nutrients on planet earth (except for the stuff we send into space) - they simply change form

From thin air: Can converting atmospheric carbon into fuel close the carbon loop? - Create

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

While I have one of these, one of the key issues we are facing at present is the net carbon footprint of the product lifecyle of both solar panels and wind generators.

Put in more simple terms, how much electricity was used to manufacture the solar panel or wind turbine (from non-renewable resources), how much carbon will be emitted in transport (both to install and take down when end of life), and what sort of pollution will it cause when dumped or recycled; all compared to how much electricity the unit can produce in it's operational life.

The Y-man

16. The Y-man

While California leads in renewable energies, electric cars and buses in Victoria might just mean more coal being burnt in Gippsland.... :(

Electric cars are great - but in most cases for car manufacturers to push the ecological responsibilities "up the chain" to the power generators. You will notice Mazda has broken away from "conventional" wisdom, and gone all out to commit to the development of the most fuel efficient petrol engines in its Skyactiv series while everyone else goes hybrid and electric.

We also need to figure out the LCSA (life cycle sustainability assessment) of the battery etc.

Having said that, I absolutely think my council rubbish truck should be electric or at least hybrid. It is insane having a heavy truck doing such short stop starts on a diesel.

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know :( - very few companies are recycling panels that have reached their "use by" date ... but don't despair ... things are changing so rapidly that who knows what next year will bring

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

90% of the Wellington, NZ, taxi fleet is electric - the rest are hybrid - and they don't burn coal. They use hydro, thermal and wind. As usual our cousins over the ditch are leading the way.

Joynz likes this.
  19. The Y-man

One of the interesting anecdotes I have is how one of our close acquaintances who have native title to a land in a beautiful part of Malaysia had it forcibly sequestered by the government to build a big Chinese funded solar panel factory. Solar panels need enormous amounts of electricity to melt the silicone (basically sand) and fuse into the panels - the gov offered the investors cheap energy rates from their not so clean electricity supply.

So one of the last remaining patches of seaside native forest in the area (the rest has been bulldozed down for palm oil) taken down for a solar panel factory. These are the photos of the beach I took when I was there some years back - it's now being dredged for a deep sea harbour (for shipping the panels). Not sure where the turtles are going to lay their eggs.... :(

The price of progress.

The Y-man

DSC04284.JPG
    DSC04298.JPG

20. The Y-man

I had an interesting chat on the sidelines with this guy last year at a conference:
    President Sachihiko Harashina's Profile | Overview | Chiba University of Commerce
    He is one of the leading authorities on nuclear energy in Japan ~ I was interested to get his take on the theoretically "carbon free" energy source (nuclear power stations do not emit any CO2).

According to his research, the carbon footprint of the mining, refining and shipping exceeds that which can be produced by the uranium fuel rods. It was a bit of news to me, and rather enlightening.

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice