Exciting sustainable developments

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 26th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay guys - no politics please. Only inventions and innovations that you come across to will lead to a more sustainable world ... like this one that is now available nearly everywhere and fabulous for disaster zones and third world situations:

Folding solar panel kits — Projecta

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It is a fascinating subject area. While it is only small and being an isolated location which suits situation the King Island Renewable Integration Project is an example of one approach.

I've had some chats with people who are involved with research in various environmental approaches. The present flavour of the moment is batteries but there are some concerns over lithium including disposal at end of useful life as well as the amount of slag resulting from digging the stuff out of the ground.

Being an ingenious lot there are starting to be a number of alternative approaches to lithium-ion batteries which include Sodium Sulfide, Zinc-Bromine and Zinc-Air battery storage. I understand research in these areas have been on-going for a number of years and some are now reaching a commercial stage.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A person I know started this company, which enables money to be sent by SMS. This allows people in third world countries to send and receive money without having to open bank accounts. It's been particularly successful in African countries.
    Rocket Remit | Transfer Money Faster - Send Money Instantly

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Kholod45, random, Propin and 6 others like this.
  6. SatayKing

Joynz and Lizzie like this.
  7. SatayKing

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

9. SatayKing

Yet I do feel a little sorry for those who are still waiting at the pit head with picks over their shoulder waiting for the coal mines to re-open as promised.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2019
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The stupendous potential of seaweed farming as a tool to combat climate change was outlined in 2012 by the University of the South Pacific’s Dr Antoine De Ramon N’Yeurt and his team. Their analysis reveals that if 9% of the ocean were to be covered in seaweed farms, the farmed seaweed could produce 12 gigatonnes per year of biodigested methane which could be burned as a substitute for natural gas. The seaweed growth involved would capture 19 gigatonnes of CO₂. A further 34 gigatonnes per year of CO₂ could be taken from the atmosphere if the methane is burned to generate electricity and the CO₂ generated captured and stored. This, they say:

…could produce sufficient biomethane to replace all of today’s needs in fossil-fuel energy, while removing 53 billion tonnes of CO₂ per year from the atmosphere… This amount of biomass could also increase sustainable fish production to potentially provide 200 kilograms per year, per person, for 10 billion people. Additional benefits are reduction in ocean acidification and increased ocean primary productivity and biodiversity.

How farming giant seaweed can feed fish and fix the climate

KateSydney likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Added benefit of reducing land-based methane production:

FutureFeed - CSIRO

a cost-effective seaweed feed additive called FutureFeed, which uses a variety of Australian seaweed that significantly reduces their methane emissions and has potential to increase livestock productivity.

The Asparagopsis species of seaweed produces a bioactive compound called bromoform, which prevents the formation of methane by inhibiting a specific enzyme in the gut during the digestion of feed.

KateSydney likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Call me a tree-hugging hippy greenie ... but I do like this way of thinking and does resemble my vege garden. Things are just bunged in amongst the flowering plants and fruit trees, wherever I find some space. I've got my herbs growing in my strawberry beds next to my poppies under my fig tree and frangipani, amongst a couple of asparagus plants ... bit further along are spinach and lettuce surrounded by plopped in garlic, roses and grevilleas:

A forest garden with 500 edible plants could lead to a sustainable future

Stoffo and KateSydney like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

SatayKing and KateSydney like this.
  15. geoffw

16. SatayKing

Does seem interesting. Curious how the wiring will be though or if a tile needs replacing. The other issue I worry about is it's Tesla.

There are already a couple of entrances to shopping centres - one in WA I think - which are constructed out of clear solar panels.

With windows, especially residences, shading from eaves or decks would need to be taken into account. Of course with modern housing construction what are eaves and decks you may ask? ;)

A pox on fat fingrrs and tiny virtual keyboards with these tablets. Such asful typing. See what I mane?

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2019
    Lizzie likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

geoffw likes this.
  18. geoffw

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Reading the book and unputdownable

15628302125733741053069499722606.jpg

TSK likes this.
  20. geoffw

We saw the movie 2040 and thought it was excellent. We recommended it to our daughter and she thought it was excellent. She arranged for the child care centre where she works to get a copy of the DVD (and possibly with extra resources) and that's been done. It will be used as a resource, shared with students at a level appropriate to them. Her child care is attached to a university, so there are a lot of like minded parents.

Lizzie likes this.