ETF Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2022

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Redwing, 4th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Had to Google that :D

upload_2022-3-9_13-6-58.png

SatayKing likes this.
  2. Redwing

MOEX Russia Index

upload_2022-3-9_13-4-15.png

Anne11 and pippen like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A study from Berkeley on trading based on the Taiwan market.

https://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/o...HowMuchDoIndividualInvestorsLose_RFS_2009.pdf

upload_2022-3-9_18-51-54.png

If you extend the concept of trading to "tinkering," the answer is probably "A bloody lot" - in broad terms.

Anne11, number 5, Isla_Nublar and 2 others like this.
  4. SatayKing

One case study.

Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2020 [LIC & LIT]

Be nice if Jess and Barry let everyone know how they are going presently.

Redwing and number 5 like this.
  5. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

An interesting idea in the article linked to in that post...
    I'm all for letting individuals do whatever they want with their investments but I just can't see how, generally speaking for most "retail investors", this will lead to anything but even poorer outcomes with more wealth being transferred from their hands into the hands of others.

SatayKing and mtat like this.
  6. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

7. SatayKing

Yes, I get what you mean.

I stand to be corrected but my understanding the SMSF Association originally consisted of financial advisers to SMSFs and some rather big ones at that. I can see how those with very large level of funds would be interested in such a proposal. Those can accept the risk. Whether relative tiddlers should be included is another matter altogether.

8. SatayKing

:)

Possibly but as I have a certain issue to focus on for the next few weeks, they're nutritional matters are well down my priority list.

pippen likes this.
  9. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Where has your thinking landed?

For me I have landed at the market is undoubtedly better than me at pricing the known/suspected geo-political risks.

Plus

The only protection against 'unknowns' is diversification. Achieving high diversification means keeping exposure to risks I probably would rather not at certain times.

Imagining deep risks like say if a major natural disaster befell USA or Australia. is how I think about diversification. How to best protect against a catastrophic unknown.

Market pricing can take care of pricing the 'knows' for international complexity as I have zero credentials for questioning the markets verdict. The complexities of global macro makes stock picking in Aus look like a walk in the park but I can't allocate 100% to that pursuit anymore after catching a glimpse of my blindside and the risks involved in that concentration.

Recent events have shows actual implementation of passive is not as 'Laissez Faire' as passive theory. But end of the day attempting to capture risk factors through a passive approach is still the best way to keep a portfolio regenerated appropriately at the least cost and turnover.

TLDR: its uncomfortable but EM including China stays in the passive allocation at roughly the index provider weights. And overall passive allocation remains as a protection against myself.

Zenith Chaos, mdk, The Falcon and 2 others like this.
  10. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Still a work in progress. It’s an annoying rock in the shoe to be honest. This podcast is very timely;

Rational Reminder Community

While market efficiency is a good starting point I don’t think it’s the whole story. My gut feel is that market theory that has evolved under the umbrella of a unipolar order may have some blind spots to future possibilities, that might seem more obvious to the layman. Not making any changes in the short term but looking at things a bit differently.

Zenith Chaos, Baker and mdk like this.
  11. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that some left tail risk has materialized isn't what is exercising your mind. I'm sure you would already be expecting that with EM - so I'm guessing you are contemplating whether its time to weigh investment aligned with your country's alliances. Time to pick sides? What a sad development that would be if adopted widely as it would snowball into the reversal of globalization and its contribution towards relative stability and prosperity of the recent past.

'Us' and 'them' thinking brings out the worst of humanity.

Zenith Chaos, mdk, nofriends and 2 others like this.
  12. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a component. Though it’s not necessarily about choosing sides (you don’t get to choose) but location of ownership. The spectre of nationalization of stock holdings for non-aligned owners has to be expected as a policy tool. Recent events, partly related to Russia have had me thinking about this more. Add to this known issues relating to cost, tax, dilution, market intervention, high correlation (0.8+) it gives one pause to consider. I don’t have a firm view just “feelings” and hence not doing anything.

Zenith Chaos, mdk, mtat and 2 others like this.
  13. Redwing

Watch out for the black swans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sharon likes this.
  14. SatayKing

Yes, the service is poor and the meals (of black swan) are mediocre at best.

Black Swan.jpg

15. Redwing

16. Redwing

Vanguard Perspective

Ukraine and the changing market environment

With geopolitical tensions such as the conflict between Russia and Ukraine, investors often ask whether a link exists between current events and financial market performance. However, when we examined major geopolitical events over the past 60 years, we found that while equity markets often reacted negatively to the initial news, geopolitical sell-offs were typically short-lived and returns over the following 6- and 12-month periods were largely in line with long-term average returns. On average, stocks returned 5% in the 6 months following the events and 9% in the 12 months after the events as shown below.

[​IMG]

Silverson, My2Cents and Anne11 like this.
  17. Redwing

vts vas.JPG

Why diversification

The Artisan and Anne11 like this.
  18. SatayKing

Holders of VAS may have a smile on their faces if the estimated distribution of STW is any guide.

For STW the distribution for the pcp was $0.52.

upload_2022-3-24_9-39-43.png

Redwing, Soren, oracle and 1 other person like this.
  19. Redwing

Update here from Passive Investing Australia

How is VDHG tax-inefficient?

20. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

That would be nice!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.