ETF Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2020

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by mtat, 7th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Who ownn GOLD abd VTS ? ;)

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Not quite the 60% reduction I frivolously proposed in the LIC thread but close enough. However, it is only the first quarter.

STW estimated distribution: $0.429682c per unit.

Payable 12 October.

Redwing likes this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The below along with STW all topping up the fighting fund during October

VAS
    VAF
    VTS
    VEU
    VEU
    VGS

[​IMG]

Zenith Chaos, number 5 and Islay like this.
  4. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

You appear to be overweight VEU :D

Zenith Chaos, Redwing and pippen like this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

DJRE?

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It ain't a matter of when. It's a matter of how much.

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  7. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

Hi All:

Am a newbie in ETF investing and closely following this thread. I have got some cash ( ~ 10K) and looking to invest.

After reading and researching, I am thinking of the following ones (equal spread):

1. VAS
    2. PMGOLD
    3. VDHG

I know vdhg is bit higher in fees, but good diversification. Any thoughts/suggestion on this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    DU

BunnyXiao likes this.
  8. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

VDHG and PM Gold if you are that way inclined, unless you have a reason for adding additional ASX300 exposure to what is already included in VDHG. Not advice etc.

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  9. Redwing

Nah, June & December, but we don't talk about them

upload_2020-9-27_11-36-47.png

[​IMG]

Zenith Chaos and Nodrog like this.
  10. Redwing

[​IMG]

11. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

No-body knows for sure , but that is not where I would be invested. VAS has too many banks and companies with limited growth runways and holdings that would upset the balance your and strategy your paying VDHS to achieve. Not a fan of gold and historicaly a poor performer, but miners can be great when you can pick them up at crazy low prices. If you want hands off investment consider NDQ ETF. If you want to start building serious wealth and know how, You could consider DCA small amounts in $50 or $100 through a Stake account so that you are always in the green significantly and this will mitagate currency risk, You dont even have to buy a whole share you can buy fractions. You can also buy the top holdings in NDQ or other funds for that matter individually but buy in at better prices. This works well with small and micro caps as you wont move the market. You should have your capital concentrated on 10 or 15 of the best companies in the world not 300th best or has beens. Most people buy because just because the think it is cheap because it has fallen. Good companies are seldom appear cheap, it is usually best to buy something that is rising, ignore short term noise and take a mimimum 3- year view. Look at companies are founder led and high management ownership. A lot of ETF's the managers dont even invest in their own fund and they are only interested in short term numbers so they get a bonus in their salary.

12. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

Thanks Falcon. I am still bit undecided about PMGOLD.

Thanks Fargo. I do have my eyes on NDQ. and invested a little bit of money. However I am not sure what the following statement means:

If you want to start building serious wealth and know how, You could consider DCA small amounts in $50 or $100 through a Stake account so that you are always in the green significantly and this will mitagate currency risk

Can you please explain? As I am really new into these things, I need some explanation.

Thanks
    DU

BunnyXiao likes this.
  13. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Good question. Me too.

14. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Assuming I've actually read it correctly myself he is saying an effective strategy is to dollar cost average through stake.
    Dollar cost averaging is about making small regular purchases (in this case $50 or $100) every week or whatever works for you rather than say spending 5k in one go.
    It means you dont run the risk of making a sizable purchase right when the etf price or currency is not in your favor.

Stake is an online broker that does not charge brokerage fees as such. They make thier money on the currency transfer when you deposit into your Stake account. You can also buy a part of a share through them rather than a whole share... hence $50 or $100 at a time works. There might be minimum transfer amounts or other conditions with Stake but I cannot remember. Google will tell.

I used Stake a while ago to build a modest BRK-B position and I was happy enough with them.

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that Stake is for US shares rather than Australian. As much of the discussion has been about Australian ETFs, this may not be relevant.

16. TickerHound

TickerHound Well-Known Member

What have you read on investing, besides the forum? Do you have a chosen investment strategy?

There are lots of methods which would dictate someone's universe of ETFs to invest in (growth, Bogle, Thornhill, all weather portfolio, random walk, etc). All have advantages and disadvantages.

Once someone chooses a "style" which fits their view on how the world and market works, which ETFs to invest in becomes much easier.

When hearing other people talk about their investment choices, I think it is a good idea to work out what "style" or school they're coming from. That way I can evaluate their choices based on whether it fits my world view.

Last edited: 27th Sep, 2020
  17. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Correct, I'm most certain Stake does not offer ASX listed shares.
    I was assuming the poster is referring to purchasing a US domiciled NASDQ etf.

I personally wouldnt bother, infact the only non Australian domiciled holding I have is BRK which is somewhat simplified as it doesnt pay dividends anyway.

18. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

IVV or NDQ fam?

19. number 5

number 5 Well-Known Member

IVV - more diversified. 1 twelfth of the cost.

Ariyahn2011 and mtat like this.
  20. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.