ETF Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2019

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Redwing, 10th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

That link was worth a read for me just based on the below paragraphs alone. There are other nuggets in there as well.

Because ‘markets work’, major gyrations in markets are very rarely catalysed by issues or events that are already in the spotlight.

Major market dislocations are more likely to be caused by unforeseen events. To name a few: the US subprime mortgage crisis (2008), Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (2005), the Enron collapse (2002), the 9/11 terrorist attacks (2001), the dotcom crash (2000). Each of these events were either not well understood prior and/or highly surprising when they occurred. Markets therefore needed to adjust rapidly to factor in the information. When the price adjustment required is significant, we see market dislocation, as prices gap lower.

Given the events that cause the most turmoil are the ones that are inherently unpredictable, then it may be logical to conclude that we shouldn’t let worrisome, yet well canvassed current events sway our investment decisions. Our decisions may be better informed by considering information that is known, than ruminating about the unknown.

2. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I was watching this video and a few minutes in I was yelling at the guy “who sent you? Who do you work for?”. o_O
    I swear it was like he was reading my mind and talking straight to me. He was answering every question and countering every argument I had in my head. He was reading my mind.
    That is one neat trick. :D

great video @dunno . I guess I am not the only one out there that’s befuddled by the market right now.

p.s my new favourite word. Befuddled.

sharon, Anne11, Snowball and 2 others like this.
  3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

No-one knows when the top will happen except the manipulators who will pump and dump. If you can work out when they're pumping, then start dumping.

I am holding more cash than my long term allocation prescribes, but it is offsetting an IP loan earning significantly better than a term deposit.

I may try to short with the ETFs you've mentioned but that is a complicated and risky strategy that I probably don't have the skills or experience to get away with. There is a cost just holding them so beware of the pitfalls.

I am also regularly buying.

DoggaPP and Big A like this.
  4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

If are going to short, short fraud. Valuation shorts are a path to the poor house. The former takes real skill, the latter a hunch and a punt.

Pier1, number 5, Froxy and 1 other person like this.
  5. oddshapes

oddshapes Well-Known Member

This may be common knowledge and mentioned previously in this thread (I'm at work and don't have time to search through - only enough time for a quick post :p)

I'm just listening to a podcast and Scott Pape (barefoot guy) was saying he met with the Aussie chief investment officer recently of Vanguard and next year they are going to be "significantly reducing" the costs of their retail and wholesale fund offerings.

Personally from the Vanguard stable, I only invest in VAS at the moment, I'd be interested to see what their retail (currently .75) and w'sale (currently .16) get reduced too.

sharon, Anne11, Zenith Chaos and 3 others like this.
  6. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

Exciting! Bring it on. My preference is Funds to ETF's from a behavioural viewpoint.

pippen, Froxy and oddshapes like this.
  7. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Why wait till next year? There's no better time than the present.

Will this apply to VAS?

8. oddshapes

From my understanding no, VAS and their ETF products will be unchanged. I think VAS just recently dropped from .14 to .10 if my memory serves me correct. Barefoot guy was saying he wasn't sure what the new fee structure will be, only that it will significant, and be applied next year. Fingers crossed for an early new year announcement.

Zenith Chaos and DoggaPP like this.
  9. oddshapes

Superb!
    This kind of analysis is why I'm studying the CFA program, so I can do something similar to my portfolio.

I'm now going to binge watch this gentleman.

dunno likes this.
  10. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much @dunno for introducing Damodaran to us. I enjoy his talks and will go through his other YouTube clips. Highly valuable!

mdk, Zenith Chaos, Nodrog and 3 others like this.
  11. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

If you go to his home page you will find links to everything, including all his course work at NYU.

Damodaran On-line Home Page

For a self-directed learner it's an incredible site. Complete comprehensive access for a gold standard of education material for Nil cost. The content is free, the piece of paper from the Uni to verify you have attended and learnt would cost you a fortune.

LeeM, sharon, willair and 9 others like this.
  12. The Falcon

Great share! I'd never looked at Damodaran's page. That is a ripper, just looked at the Corporate Finance lecture notes. Brilliant resource.

Zenith Chaos, dunno and oddshapes like this.
  13. oddshapes

Agree with @The Falcon, Great share, thanks again. A basic website (a throw back to the early 1990s :p) but with priceless info.

Zenith Chaos, dunno and Froxy like this.
  14. The Falcon

It’s about as good as Berkshire Hathaway’s site...big on content, zero frills. I like it.

DoggaPP and Zenith Chaos like this.
  15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

quote..
    I have learned that some of you do need to go back in time, either because you need to do a valuation set back in an earlier year, or just because you want to compare numbers over time. ..

Thanks for the link..

16. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Hi :rolleyes:

17. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Now that’s a great screen name. Lol.

18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

From Sharesight...

This year has been a good year for the Australian stock market in more ways than one.

Yes, the S&P ASX 200 Accumulation Index has grown by over 13% and we have 2 months to go!

But do you know what else happened in the same 10 months?

Here’s the startling truth: 15 ASX companies went into administration, 6 were liquidated and more than 100 were delisted while 100s of others lost more than half their value.

And that was in a good year for the stock market!

lamecrocs, sharon, DoggaPP and 3 others like this.
  19. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

For all the JLCollins fans out there - iShares IWLD is the closest Australia will get to JLC's preferred single holding but domiciled in Australia

20. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

VDHG is up 4.10% from the beginning of October.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.