ETF Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2018

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Swuzz, 2nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Australian brokers pull their collective heads in and start lowering ludicrous fees.

sharon likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Online trade fees go to zero

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Just reading this

7 Reasons Not to Use a 100% Stock Portfolio

I'm not sure if the prevalence of “Why bonds?” and “Should I use a 100% stock portfolio?” threads on internet forums is inversely correlated with future stock market returns, but it wouldn't surprise me. I do know that I didn't see very many of them in late 2008. I'm seeing a ton of them now, so it is probably time to readdress the topic.

I fully understand the desire to use a 100% stock portfolio. Once somebody looks at past behavior of the stock market and understands the general rule between risk and return, it seems obvious to question why they might want to put 10%, 25%, 40% or more of their portfolio into those pesky low-returning bonds. I mean, look at the data:

Cont..

4. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

twisted strategies likes this.
  5. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Good read. But still have no interest in owning bonds. With interest rates more likely to go up than down, I see more downside than upside in holding bonds.

The problem with these portfolio split recommendations is it really depends on an individuals situation. If you have enough investment income flow and also an emergency cash stash so you can withstand a downturn and not need to sell, then 100% stock allocation is an viable option. If not, than sure a 100% stock allocation might be more risky.

Anne11 and twisted strategies like this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Hmm, in that case I guess one could assume (I haven't read the article by the way)

Attached Files:

Big A and twisted strategies like this.