ETF Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2017

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by L3ha7, 8th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread continued from here: Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2016}

Where can I find information "if we are allowed to take part or apply for Lic spp plans for the holding Lic''s in ING direct or Australian Super??

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Aug, 2018
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

From what I understand you can't. I'll leave it to those here who use the product to confirm this and direct you to related information.

It's generally because holdings are held in trust, not by the individual member.

L3ha7 likes this.
  3. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Why do ETFs make it so hard no calculate their yield? They typically publish total returns. Does this frustrate anyone else?

What I basically want is a high yield blue chip etf like VAS where the underlying stocks hopefully keep up with inflation (ideally exceed) and their yield is around 4-5%.

4. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

My holidays have finished-back to work from tomorrow.

But I have managed to read Lic and Etf thread along with other useful threads.

Ocean of information here and big big thanks to @austing for the encouragement and all the members who have been contributing @The Falcon @wombat777 @pinkboy (1 comment of pink boy made me think twice about IPO ) @CatCafe @Redwing (great graphs-I think your platinum in fund growth graph was really attractive)
    @Hodor (great explanations) and all other members (sorry if I am unable to mention your name)

I never knew much about etfs or lics and I wish I could knew about these since 2012.(initially when I started to do experiment with direct shares.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to hear from ING Direct and Australian Super members about options in SPP of Lics and have also put wheels in the motion to get advise on SMSF.

We are heavily invested in properties so also considering* to sell 1 IP and use those funds to initiate the long term investment plan.(*= it's in pipeline not in rush)

No one knows what future holds but with great minds contributions , I know where my money will be going.

I am still learning and there are few areas where I need to learn a lot e.g. tax calculations of ETFs-why it is important to know this in so much details and what complications it can have.( in general my accountant looks after our tax and advise)

At the end the message is clear -keep it simple and sit back and watch the money grow.

big max likes this.
  5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I use ING and have received advice on how to participate in a SPP (specifically the recent ARG SPP). Hopefully this will continue with future SPPs, don't have a link to a PDS so not sure on technicalities or what might affect participation.

L3ha7 and Nodrog like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe have a think about a standalone blue chip like the link below it always pays to have it spread so it has the power to miltiply the 100$$ mark may well be broken this year..imho..
    eBook Viewer

Bran likes this.
  7. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Yes of course I could just buy the top ten holding of a standard oz Index etf - banks, Telstra, BHP, Rio etc. but I like the idea of a single etf. Saves a bunch of hassles for me as I just want some broad overall Oz exposure.

8. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

HI @Hodor , above mentioned statement is refers to an advice from ING ?

9. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

@Hodor, I too wish to participate in LIC SPPs via ING. Should I just call ING or can I do it through their web platform?

BTW when was ARG's recent SPP?

Thanks.

10. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Assuming that future SPPs are processed in the same way you receive an email from ING when a SPP is announced and be asked to log into your ING super account and look under "corporate actions".

I got an email RE ARG's SPP on the 9/9/16. The email asked me to log into my ING super account and look under "corporate actions" where you could gain further information and/or participate. I wasn't interested in the ARG SPP so I didn't go through the process.

L3ha7, Zenith Chaos and Nodrog like this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Just having a look at the Stockspot report

upload_2017-1-13_20-6-7.png

With a mixture of US, OZ, International and Bonds (roughly 7.5% plus dividends/distributions) you would have done okay in comparison

12. Redwing

13. Redwing

There is also is the benefit of exponential business growth, dividends and the compounding effects on ETF's

14. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

15. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

18. wombat777

One of the 8 ETFs in my Super ... IJR

126% return in 6 months. Does this look correct?!

Indicates a split @ 20 Jan.

IMG_7484.PNG

Edit - seems it is :D:eek::rolleyes: and has turbo-boosted the ETF portfolio in my super to a 22% return in 6 months :D:D:D

IMG_7485.jpg

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2017
    trinity168 likes this.
  19. Redwing

20. wombat777

Nb - performance above is incorrect lol! Sharesight confused.

In my super I am holding DJRE, IJR, IOO, IRU, IVV, IXJ, IXI, VAP ( not in equal weights ). I also have other super investments.

In my portfolio outside of super I also have IXJ, VAP, IFRA, VGS. My first plays with ETFs and much smaller parcels. Also currently hold 13 direct shares.

Nodrog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.