Excavation costs?

Discussion in 'Development' started by beachgurl, 15th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I've just had my 2 lot subdivision approved in Brissie and I need to get the stormwater works done. I'm trying to do a feaso on selling with the DA vs doing the titling myself and the biggest unknown is the excavation/drainage works for the stormwater.

Do plumbing companies generally charge a per mtr rate on this type of work, or do the figures vary greatly depending on the company and the site? The trades won't give me any indication on costs until I provide them with a detailed survey but it would be great to work out a rough figure for now. If the profit will be comparable pre-titling then I'd rather flick it off now than to do all of the works and tie up my funds for a bit longer.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How can you put a figure on it if you can't quantify it? The survey will give the plumber the levels that they'll have to work to and the extent of excavation required.

If they need to excavate an extra 500mm depth for the full length of the trench the cost could double. Likewise excavation in ralock is difficult and expensive.

Excavation is $/m3
    Pipe is $/m + fittings
    Crushed rock $/tonne
    Backfill $/m3
    Compaction $/m3 or $/m2 per 100mm depth

3. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

thanks for your response. I guess it's hard to know where the figure starts from, to say that costs could double is fine but double of what? How do I find out rough starting figures for each of the items you've listed? From the initial survey done on my block for the engineer to create the drawings to send to council with the pipework, there needs to be about 30mtre length in excavation to lay a 150 diameter stormwater pipe in it.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'd say $300/m should Cover it at a guess. There's a few ways to work out a guesstimate
    Let me sharpen my pencil and I'll get back to you

For residential I doubt they'll use sand or worry about compatiin they'll just use the stuff they did out

Say 3days work at 2000/day(labour excavator etc) + 1500 materials. So just under 10k? How's that work for you?

Edit.
    On the cheap side, if it's a straight clear run they should do it in a day so under 5k

Last edited: 15th Mar, 2016