ex-housing commission

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by melbournian, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I came across some ex-housing commission houses being sold off by DHS.
    came without a vanity in the bathroom and one door is busted. Overall seems OK. Builder said maybe a 15K do up. From a valuation perspective for finance? how do the lenders see these houses as. It's like those concrete houses back in the 60s.

I have been looking closely at these type of houses after seeing how some ex-housing commission houses in Ashwood and Chadstone have been flying for more than million.

EN710 and larrylarry like this.
  2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I can't answer your question, but I'm assuming the value is likely to be in the land anyway. I just bought one and on the Val the land was 360k and the house 32k it stated that the improvements (house) added little to no value
    I had no issue with finance

Which suburb are you looking at?

3. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Probably a good idea to get a COS valuation for something like this (if suitable in terms of lenders).

If going full valuation, could cause issues depending on the nature of repairs/renovations required. By the sounds of it it could cause major issues, so best avoided if possible.

4. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Pending LVR bank might not even do a valuation.

If property is to be valued, you don't want it to be deemed not habbitable - so functioning cooking facilties and wet areas are usually a must.

5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I can buy it outright in cash but depending how much it goes for but I prefer just sticking to 20% deposit. But it is a worthwhile buy though. renovations and repairs itself aren't major

kitchen is fine. rooms are ok. just a bit outdated. only issue was the vanity not being there. how much would it cost to get a COS valuation?

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Some lenders might not need a valuation - especially if there's no LMI involved.

If a full valuation is required - they will likely site the issues that need repaired and the lender will want to see you have sufficient funds available for the work.

Cheers

Jamie

EN710 likes this.
  7. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

80% LVR with quite a few lenders will fly through without valuation - so that should work.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Nothing. A COS valuation is where the lender will use the contract of sale to value it.

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

As stated above the true value is in the land component so aim for 70/30 land/dwelling ratio.

Also check how many other housing commission properties may still be in the area as this may have a negative impact on present and future values.