Ex-display/used kitchen - worth it?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mini2, 7th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Am I better off get a new flat pack kitchen from the likes of Semble or Masters made to measure or just grab any old ex-display or even used kitchen, chop and make it fit?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If you can get a bargain ex-display or off gumtree, yeah for sure you can save heaps. but you have to find something suitable that works within reason

I just googled semble, hadn't heard of them. I have used Ikea and found it easy and user friendly. However they are exactly made to measure as you mentioned, they provide a set of standard sized cabinets, 300, 450, 600 etc etc you then mix and match to fit your space.

If your handy and can chase down the bargain and make it work go for it. but if you want to play with the design and get it how you want it you can do it for a very reasonable price through the flat pack way.

3. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

It depends on the price, quality and layout of the kitchen.
    I would always look for a second hand/ex display before going new.
    Some custom made kitchens are hard to dismantle and reinstall.

My last kitchen reno was an ex display kitchen which included granite benchtops.
    Buying and installing new granite bench tops would of cost around the same price as the whole kitchen I got.

4. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas.

Unfortunately I'm a gumby with tools (dismantling the old one shouldn't be a challenge...there's always the chainsaw) and time poor so perhaps the new flat pack get someone else to install path might be more appropriate.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Last kitchen we did was off Gumtree, suited the room very well and the kitchen installer who put in the new one where this one came out delivered it across town to me, and installed it for $600 all up.

Cost me $2K I think from memory to buy and it came with oven, range hood and ceramic cooktop, sink, taps and had a waterfall edge granite bench. Great value, and looks like a $15K kitchen.

Kael, Tim86 and Gockie like this.
  6. AaronR

AaronR Well-Known Member

I was recently looking on Gumtree for a secondhand one for a potential property purchase and came across this site: http://www.secondhandkitchens.com.au

Way less available than what's on Gumtree (in brisbane anyway) but tempted by one on there for my PPoR!

@wylie did you put yours in as they had it or was it reconfigured? That's one thing I'm not sure about with a re-fit... how much flexibility you have.

7. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

We are doing a Reno next week, kitchen is being replaced, I got one for $2300 from kitchensunder2k.com.au, they are in Blacktown and did the 3 D plans for me as well. The package includes tiles, sink, tap and fittings, bench tops, range hood, great package and a better price than bunnings or masters. I've picked up a used oven and range hood for $130. All set for my own Reno rumble !

patience likes this.
  8. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

If it fits jump on it! can't get some absolute bargains on high spec kitchens through both ebay and gumtree, unfortunately I never found one to suit my place but there's always the option to customize if only minor changes are required.

9. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

i think its false economy, by all means second hand appliances but you would be damn lucky if you can use the benchtop or need alterations done which really chew up the 'profit'. I 'budget' about 3k for high gloss cabinets, drawers, and cabinets for a flat pack. Its really not that significant in the entire cost of the kitchen reno.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It fit the room like a glove and hubby had to add a 5cm packing piece of timber behind the pantry to hide the 5cm gap where our room was 5cm wider than the kitchen it came out of.

We planned on putting it together ourselves, but I couldn't make head nor tail of the bits and pieces. The installer did it in about four hours. It took me four hours just to realise I hadn't a clue what went where.

AaronR likes this.