Every forum has a couple of interesting characters........

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by keithj, 13th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I actually deleted my post, just prior to you posting.

I just hope it does not turn into a good biatching session, the forum has been nice lately.

2. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

The Terrorist.

If they throw the grenade and then get blown up in pieces in the aftermath = The Jihadist :p

Sackie, See Change, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I've made some real genuine friends on this forum, made some business deals, learned some things and met lots and lots and lots of new clients.
    Whatever I'm doing, I'm doing right, it's working for me and there are a few copy cats following me like puppies and doing exactly what I'm doing.

I did not read the list - not my focus, I'm here for other purposes, but what ever the label, call it whatever you want! I'm going to keep doing it because it works for me.

BigKahuna, Esel and MTR like this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is there one for throwing grenades, then chasing it to put the pin back in?

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The conspiracy theorist: imagines other members with 2, 3 or more different identities which debate each other or like each others' posts. Attempts to make other members and mods aware of the conspiracy but doesn't get very far. Gets on well with like-minded other conspiracy theorists.

Split personalitiy: somehow manages to get way with creating a few different avatars. Will even go so far as to make one or two of them premium members. Most annoying when they consistently back each other up and like each other - even meaningless posts.

edited to make more sense

Last edited: 15th Mar, 2016
    HUGH72, S.T and 158 like this.
  6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

And sometimes we actually get along

MTR likes this.
  7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Interesting thread!

May want to add

"Property investor" given it is a property forum
    "Diversion expert" OP ask for advice on A. Forum members start Suggesting B and C.

Classic example could be thread "Who is best byuer agent in Vic" from memery thread de railed to which is better association, REIV or REBAA??:):)

MTR likes this.
  8. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

FIGJAM...I haven't heard this term since Year 7 LMAO!!

MTR likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have a solution, PC should get rid of the like system, this actually adds no value to the forum and I think is actually overall destructive. No one on the forum can manage/control this and no one on the forum is clearly going to strickly follow the guidelines on this.

Some members Have mentioned/proposed PC use the SS kudo system which was far superior IMO, private and worked much better.

The like system will never work on any forum due to numbers, personalities, varying opinions, etc etc

MTR

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2016
    DaveM likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have never heard this term ever

RetireRich101 likes this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There is a common misconception that the like system does anything other than denote that someone likes a post.

It means nothing more than this: "I like this post".

Trying to assign more meaning to it, is what doesn't work.

Feel free to stop using likes though!

Ambit, Bran, Hoffy and 1 other person like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sim

We clearly differ on this issue

Forum members can react to LIKE in a negative and positive way, there is evidence of this on this forum, it's very much dependent on who it is posting, who got the like, how many likes, the subject matter etc.

But it's all or nothing, one person not using like won't change zip on a forum. My comments were purely my thoughts on how to improve the forum as OP raised the LIKE issue, it's not intended to offend. I appreciate you like the like facility, I don't, that about it.

MTR

Esel likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Can we at least keep the 'like' system until I surpass @MTR....

Oooooooonly joking :D

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Can we get a dislike button

MTR likes this.
  15. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

I am relatively new to PC but there are those who definitely stand out from the rest. They are:

The Problem Solver: PC members who are generous with their time, advice and professional knowledge to other PC members who require their assistance. These quality contributors are the reason many people become a PC member and staying there and even giving back to the forum.

For those who have helped me with my questions thus far, I sincerely thank you.
    (You know who you are!)

BigKahuna, Perthguy, Xenia and 3 others like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ahhh.....your very brave...:D

17. Simon Hampel

No offence taken - I just thought your comments were a little ironic given how much you tend to use the like system.

I don't especially like the like system - but I do think it is a nice simple way to occasionally give someone a bit of quick feedback that I thought their post made a very good point (rather than replying with a "+1" or something else which adds no value to the discussion).

I certainly don't use it to say to everyone else "hey look at this person, I think they are brilliant and you should pay attention to what they say", which is how I think some people think it should be used - to try and denote "authority" and such. I don't think it can be used meaningfully that way.

I also think that if someone goes around liking every post by someone else in a thread because they think that person is wonderful - it loses all meaning.

I don't think the like system is dangerous or misleading or inferior or anything else - it simply is what it is - a system for indicating that you like something.

People who try to make it into more than it is tend to be outliers, in my experience - but some of them will always try and game any system for their own benefit, no matter what you have.

The Kudos system on Somersoft worked differently (not better or worse, just different) - it was primarily designed to give people comments about their posts - and the points were supplementary to the primary intent of giving direct positive feedback by way of a short message. Interestingly, the original design for that feature allowed you to give negative feedback as well (with points being taken away from your kudos score!!), but I always thought that this was too negative and so disabled the ability to leave negative feedback.

Interestingly, while the like system in the forum software we use was modelled on Facebook - you may have noticed that Facebook has recently moved to a system of "reactions" to denote a wider range of emotional responses to a post. Personally, I'm not a fan - I think it overly complicates what should be a really simple thing - giving a like.

However, I can see some use-cases where likes are inadequate - any Facebook post which deals with something that is very sad or alarming, "like" is not always an appropriate response. Personally, my approach on Facebook has been to use like where appropriate, but if like doesn't suit the post, then to leave a comment instead - where you can express an emotion more explicitly.

I certainly don't think I would want to try and move the forum software to a similar type of reaction system - I think if you have something more (or different) to say than "good post", you should reply and at least use an emoticon, if not actual words to convey your reaction to it.

WattleIdo and See Change like this.
  18. Simon Hampel

No.

Xenia, ellejay, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  19. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Blacky

20. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I dislike your reply. I had to comment as there is no button