Every business has gone into hibernation

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by maroon, 28th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

Lockdown frustration rant warning!
    Recently moved into a new place which naturally needs odds and ends sorted.

1) Bunnings open only for click and collect/delivery. Online order for c&c placed. "Please allow a day for processing". 72 hours later, the message has not changed. Rung them to get an automated message "We are experiencing a high volume of calls, please try again later.. (get hung up on)".

2) Officeworks is open on the same principle. I need a single A4 page printed as the bank insists on a wet signature. Unclear how to get printing done in their lockdown operation. Call on hold for 20+ minutes so I ambushed the local store. Lovely young fellow at the door gives me a handout on where to send printing (why is that not up on the website?!). I can apparently return in 48 hours to pick it up..

3) Licensed locksmith hired. The guy refuses to commit to a time and tells me he will give me 30 minutes notice before attending.

4) Real estate agent goes incommunicado. Previous rental property keys were meant to be returned earlier in the week. Office shut with note to ring the main number. No answer. The 2 managing agents not answering their mobiles either. Unhappy email sent. 2 days later, I get emails from 2 separate agents (completely unaware of each other or my unhappy email) asking if keys have been returned. ?!?!

What's happened to the work force? Sure, many aren't on site but phone and electronic communication?? Sydney has been in lockdown for 2 months, so they have had plenty of time figure this out and adjust to a new operating model

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think this is a good fit for the First World Problems thread…many of the issues mentioned are no different than before lockdown.

The Y-man, Coffee, Someguy and 2 others like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Considering we're in a pandemic, I'd say all reasonable responses. Nothing too unusual at all to me. I actually think Sydney is doing pretty good considering.

Jacque likes this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Even more difficult in Canberra now. Too many people were visiting Bunnings to get "urgent" items so the ACT Government shut them down to only the trade and click-and-collect.

A few business were directed to close at 5 pm on 17 August and no one is even allowed in to dispatch goods which had been ordered but still to be dispatched.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you not get to a bank branch within 5km radius and sign something there?

Seb_W likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Another sheet thing is that there’s not many food places open. So we’re eating the same garbage every day. I’d love to eat some tacos and relax on a hammock with a Corona. Hey Gringo!

Phoenix Pete and Scott No Mates like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The Coronas round this way are tasting a little flat, maybe the vaccine has something to do with that.

datto likes this.
  8. Seb_W

Seb_W Active Member

Yep, exactly what I did recently. In and out of the branch within 20 mins with all documents reviewed and signed

9. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I’m somewhat confused that I can’t go into a pet store or a hardware store, can go to variety store but only shop essentials but can go to Woolworths/Coles and browse and shop everything.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Just ordered hubby a new stand/sit desk for fathers day - happy fathers day darling. Will be delivered next week from Officeworks.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I guess because the majority of a food store is - well - food. Which is kinda essential.

Buying a plant or some retaining walls or cement isn't really essential - be nice tho, I'd be able to get my garden finished.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Gladys and Kerry made it clear early on that you aren't supposed to be "browsing" in the supermarket. Get in, get your stuff, get out - minimal time, minimal contact.

Better yet - order online or do contactless click-and-collect if your supermarket allows it.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Someguy

Can buy weed n feed and garden soil and plants from Woolworths/coles. It just feels like a double standard. Imo everywhere should be click and collect, keep it as level a playing field as possible.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What's this branch thing?

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of some serious dental work. I had a temporary crown with a cantilever tooth covering the space where one was removed, while it heals prior to an implant being installed. Sort of semi on the side of my mouth.

The crown fell off on Saturday. Next appointment is on Wednesday. Phoned the Periodontist and he said that in order to be able to stay open, they've split their business into two teams, working on different days, so that if someone on one team gets sick, the other team can continue. Since I'm not in pain, I have to wait until Wednesday.

Although this is very inconvenient for me, I applaud their forward thinking in being able to structure their business in such a way that they can still service clients at this time.

As for businesses that are now doing click & collect only, the delays experienced are beyond rediculous. They don't have people to serve at the registers, so surely they've got the staff to get things ready for people in a timely manner.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

At BigW, yes ... not at Coles

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Weed n feed is available from Coles (just one option), but you won't be able to soil yourself there.

Scott No Mates and Lizzie like this.
  18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Depends on:

(a) level of demand - through the roof at the moment I'm guessing;
    (b) internal protocols regarding Covid safety for staff - 100 crowded together equals bad, 20 spaced out equals good.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... or plant

geoffw likes this.
  20. Someguy

In desperation I bought 8 bags of soil for the veggie garden from Woolworths. Grabbed some indoor plants as well.