Evaporative air conditioning advice

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by robbie_p, 8th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am looking at replacing my evaporative air conditioning system.

My system is probably over 20 years old (see attached pictures of unit and controller) and I was told by my electrician (while he was installing my down lights) that the ducts have all perished.

The unit was also last serviced in 2013 by previous owner, just before we moved into the house.I havent serviced it since... didnt know i needed too! lol

The current system only has 3 vents (lounge, dining and hallway), see attached layout. Ideally there should be additional vents in the 4 bedrooms.

Not sure if its worth trying to fix / modify what I already have or get a new system installed (which im told is about $3500-4000).

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Robbie

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A swamp box isn't an air conditioner - if you whack another run of ductwork up it won't.

Put the bedrooms on a separate unit if you want to keep with a swampy.

There's not really many parts to a cooler - pads, motor and reticulation system. Does it or just the ductwork require replacement?

3. robbie_p

Hey, thanks for the reply, but I'm not quite sure I understood you..

Are you suggesting that I just replace the ducts of my existing unit and perhaps get it serviced?

If i do this, i still wont have vents in the bedrooms though? (which is what i need)

The current unit seems to work, but i was under the impression that these evaporation systems only have a certain lifespan?

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Apparently it's the duct work that is the greater part of the cost. May as well get a new one. Definitely get it in the bedrooms but not right over bed spaces.

5. Scott No Mates

These things blow large volumesof moist air into the building and requires the windows to be open to relieve the air pressure and create air movement.

If the existing unit is correctly sized, you could get away with new ductwork only but the unit is relatively cheap to replace.

You should be able to get away with having the bedroom doors & windows open to create the draft around the house.

6. robbie_p

Given that my unit is probably +20 years old, hasnt been serviced in over 3 years, the current ducting is perished and the current duct/vent configuration is not suitable (no vents/ducts in rooms), it probably makes sense to have it all replaced?

7. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd probably choose to replace it. You can get new and extra ducts run to the bedrooms, and have a switch that swaps the air from living areas to bedrooms. That way you can keep the same sized unit. It's a cheaper solution, not sure if it works for you though.

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Would be but more expensive (x2-3) and costs a lot more to run.

We have evaporative and works fine due to a mainly dry climate in WA summer.

Hodge likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

@Hodge - i agree with @Colin Rice , install and running costs will be much higher vs comfort. If evap works well and is supplemented with decent heating shouldn't be an issue but if you aren't keen on the dampness of a swamp box then ac is the go.

Hodge likes this.
  11. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

We had ducted evaporative system installed in our PPOR a couple of summers ago - 7 or 8 ducts so now all man rooms are lovely and cool during the summer heatwaves we so often get in Melbourne. We can now sleep on those hot nights. :)
    We got a Breezaire system and think it cost about $4000 all up - but best $4000 we ever spent. It's whisper quiet and does a good job of cooling the whole house.
    The guy who came to do the most recent service said it's imperative to service at recommended intervals because dust, leaves and debris can cause problems.
    Evap is apparently not useful in humid climates - hence comments from Scott No Mates (Sydney??) but works a treat in drier heat. On days when humidity is relatively high in Melb, it still works fine. .

12. Scott No Mates

Useless anywhere along the coast due to the humidity. The manufacturers have a table showing where they are most effective.

[​IMG]

13. robbie_p

I'm in South Australia, so evaporative colling is ideal.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  14. robbie_p

Hi All,

I have received my first quote to replace my existing evaporative system (which is about 25-30 years old!).

Company: Mannix
    System: Bonaire Integra II VSM65 (6 outlets)
    Warranty: Equipment (7 years) , ducting (25 years)
    Cost: $4443 (when purchased with finance option over 24 months)

Does this sound reasonable?

Cheers,
    Robbie

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia