Evap cooling vs aircon

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Keentolearn77, 16th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

i' wondering which is a better option:
    Dble storey house

A). Evap cooling - 3 outlets upstairs & 2 outlets downstairs.
    Evap Unit on 2nd storey roof with internal cavity/s to reach downstairs outlets = $4-500 service call every few yrs (height safety rail costs increases call out when on 2nd storey roof)

B). Evap cooling - 3 outlets upstairs & 2 outlets downstairs.
    Evap Unit on 1st storey roof with internal cavity/s to reach upstairs outlets...
    = less call out costs for servicing/ can evap unit motor push air up to 2nd storey no problem....?

C). Air con split systems in 4 rooms of the house....

Wondering which is more feasible & cost affective long term

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Where in Australia are you? Im not sure about other parts but the evap coolers are counterproductive to cooling in Brisbane. They just make the place even more humid. Evap coolers are what you get when you are a poor uni student and you cant afford an air con. Then after a week they go in the cupboard because they are worse than useless. Then next council pick up they are out on the curb.

kierank and hobo like this.
  3. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

4. Steven_S

Steven_S Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of evaporative systems, the cooling just isn't effective enough for my comfort levels. I built my own PPOR recently, and opted for ducted refrigerative cooling rather than 4 or 5 split systems in multiple bedrooms and living areas. Benefit being that there is only 1 compressor unit (double) outside, 10 inch ducts and zones to all areas of the house which can be controlled to a degree. Price wise, 4 or 5 split systems installed might push you towards the 10k mark give or take depending on unit size. The ducted cooling add-on to the ducted heating was 8k. To me this was a no brainer!

Have been loving summer ever since! :)

5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Evap coolers are everywhere down here in Canberra and there was one in the house we rented a few years ago. I hated it! Useless once the temps hit mid to high 30's and it hits 40 here. Thought I was dying!

People here say they are great except for a few weeks a year, they don't say that it's as hot as living on the sun for those few weeks though. If you want to guarantee comfort, go the aircon. Might be more expensive to purchase but we noticed no difference in running costs, if anything our ducted inverter is cheaper...

6. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Give Evap a miss altogether. Horrid.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Modern inverters are the best; also; if you leave them constantly on, and set the room temp to your preferred temp; they work much more efficiently and ultimately cost less to run this way...heating and/or cooling.