QLD Evaluating a Brisbane,Redcliffe duplex

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by radioactive, 20th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Well-Known Member

That sounds good for future potential. Hard to predict the future though. I would have loved to buy a property east of Oxley for cheap that needed work, but being based in Melbourne this was not an option.

Bought a house on decent sized block near the hospital which I think has future development potential too. Planning to hold for 5 years and see what happens with the area. I’m a bit excited for this area though

Angel and Gockie like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I flew up and looked around. Read Somersoft threads (predecessor to this forum) first though about this area and also read and saw the Logan area too first hand - and also chatted about the idea of buying at the Redcliffe Peninsula area with a friend.

I had bought in Brisbane too 18 months earlier (Redlands council area so its on the south side) - harbour views in Sydney are crazy expensive, but water views in Brisbane is doable! Brisbane's not a great place for beaches though.

Maybe a BA will or won't save money, but I guess I enjoy the ”find the property" and "does it tick the boxes" elimination process. For instance, there was another property in the Redcliffe Peninsula for sale, nice sounding relatively discounted price. But it was 2 houses away from the petrol station. So that's a no. Lots of reasons to say no to a property.

My last Sydney buy was by luck... Follow the open house signs.... Bingo!

Last edited: 21st Jan, 2019
  3. Gockie

I think you'll be fine near the hospital! Central Redcliffe is gold.

4. Yinka Dare

I too went up to Brisbane for a few days. Time prevented me from looking at south Brisbane but many said to avoid unless you get close to city.

I used to love the Somerset forums but most of the information there is now out of date. Yes anywhere near a petrol station or a McDonald’s is not a place I buy near. McDonald’s seem to attract hoons and clowns.

I have a townhouse in Seaford across the road from the beach - 100 metre walk. No ocean views but it overlooks kananook creek so I’d argue it’s a nicer view. Real estate agents say they like the creek view better. The yield and holding costs on this property is very high though but had about 250k of growth in last few years so its worth it.

I’ve never used a buyers agent - think the 10k to use one can be used towards buying a property.

Mobe9 likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I disagree with the "East of Oxley" mantra. If one sticks to that philosophy, they would miss the properties in Clontarf where the beach is south of them, they would miss 50% of Scarborough, they would miss the entire canal suburb of Newport, and they would miss the elevated properties with water views just west of Oxley Avenue. They would also miss the hospital precinct.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When I bought a regional IP, I spent a couple of weeks online beforehand selecting half a dozen ones that I thought would be suitable. It helped that I work with someone who had recently relocated from that city who could talk me through the streets and the culture. He really only confirmed what I had worked out for myself researching online. The locals (on PC) can help you with that too. RE agents in that city will be able to tell you what style of property will suit different demographics in their area.

When we had a week off work, we went there in person. We phoned the RE agents responsible for each house that we had narrowed it down to, and booked a midweek appointment with them. After the personal inspections, we narrowed it down further then made the choice from a list of pros and cons for each of three finalists. I was easily able to select a price to offer based on recent sales of comparable properties from the Net.

The house rented very easily to families as it was walking distance to schools and a two minute drive to the new shopping centre. It was about 5 klms from the CBD in a city of around 40,000 people. From my city perspective, I would have thought it required a new coat of paint, new carpets etc. The agents assured me that it was fine the way it was. Great advice! The locals renting in that price bracket didn't need brand new anything.

Gockie likes this.
  7. T Macdonald

T Macdonald Member

I understand that Stockland are developing via a masterplanning process in Newport.... what do people think this will do for the location?

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm not smart enough to answer this question. However another friend and I drove through there last week. We decided it looks just like Mandurah in WA except there aren't any little Venetian bridges over the canals. They are currently building a massive four storey luxury apartment block typical of Newstead in Brisbane, and an application was submitted last year for a resort Hotel nearby, with two towers. Twelve storeys, I think. Way too many apartments..........in my opinion.

The first housing stage has views of the older housing immediately behind it up on a rise - looks so "wrong". This is also like Mandurah - brand new starts where the 40 years old cheap housing finishes.

9. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

Revaluating my options by being priced out in Redcliffe, it seems that deception bay is the next option close to the water at 350K mark around 5% yield.Any areas to be avoided?
    Deception Bay Investment Property Market Data

10. Yinka Dare

I never got the time to go to Deception Bay but there is a lot happening in the area. If it’s still cheap in about a year or two I might invest there.

11. jenno1612

jenno1612 Active Member

I live in dbay... north of waroo dr and around Bancroft is a bit questionable. some streets by the water are better than others.

if you have some specific places in mind happy to help with local knowledge as best as I can

wylie likes this.
  12. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

thanks alot.
    how about this area?
    1 Lockyer Pde, Deception Bay QLD 4508

13. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Does a BA have to save the buyer money? Or perhaps just find the best type of investment for the area the buyer is looking in? 5-10k spent on a BA to buy a good property over a dud would be money well spent for an interstate buyer who doesn't know his or hers chosen market well.

wilso8948 likes this.
  14. Gockie

That's totally fine. And in addition a BA may have access to listings before the marketing campaign kicks off. I like to take responsibility for it myself, that's all, and I have confidence in myself.

And i'd say none of my purchases have been duds. :)

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

@radioactive, Using a BA would be money well spent given your current inexperience. Once the BA takes you through the process, you will be better prepared to do it yourself in the future.

wilso8948 likes this.
  16. jenno1612

jenno1612 Active Member

thats an ok area. a lot of smaller 3x1 houses (mix of fibro and brick Low and highsets)
    That style of house is pretty standard all over Dbay.

If you are looking at different areas, Moreton Downs is probably considered the best, bigger blocks and newer style houses, Off Park Rd back towards Waroo Rd has some bigger blocks and houses as well (newer builds are back towards Waroo) The area around Thompson / Bancroft is bigger blocks but smaller houses. The closer you get to the water, generally they are smaller blocks (400sqmish) with more fibro cottage style houses.

17. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

The creep from Kippa Ring and Rothwell is starting to happen in the southern part of DBay as people cotton onto the fact that this part isn't any different to those areas...3x1 prices in Moreton downs are starting to creep up towards $400k...10% higher than 2 years ago

Sold 39 Kate Ave, Deception Bay QLD 4508 on 11 Jan 2019 - 2014761233 | Domain

18. jenno1612

jenno1612 Active Member

exactly. we bought a 3 bed 2 bath on 620sqm in dbay for under $350k. not many of them around these days.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When the new zones went through a few years ago, I got excited because in the draft, my property was going to be changed to high rises. I was rather miffed some months later when the final plan was announced and the section of land where mine is situated remains at three storeys max. However I think that will be more popular going forward. We have recently had a three storey new house built right in front of ours and next time I visit I will ask the residents what it does for their breezes. Our balcony had water views when the old house was demolished and until the new one was completed.

Yinka Dare likes this.
  20. shannonkoven

shannonkoven Member

Hi guys. I have heard the stay east of Oxley when looking at IP in Redcliffe but was wondering if anyone has any insight into the area around the Redcliffe hospital/mungarra park area. I understand closer to the beach is a better investment