Ethan Housing RTOC amendments

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by MohWei, 6th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MohWei

MohWei Member

Hello,

Received my RTOC from Ethan housing for 2016/17. Can anyone please help me in making amendments to my tax returns for year 2016/17 so Federal portion of my NRAS can be claimed? Thanks

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Contact the ATO, they should be able to guide you.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would seek personal tax advice. You have to navigate some technical issues with non assessable non exempt income.., tax credits and also non deductible issues.

You have a high chance of error. I have never seen as taxpayer get it right

4. Ying Li

Ying Li Member

To the Accountant and the likes, try to amend my tax for 2015-2016 for NRAS RTO, in the "T8. Other non-refundable tax offsets" section, it ask for a claim type being E/M/S ... which code should NRAS RTO select, I am not sure NRAS RTP fits any of the code

Checked with ATO online chat, and Corey does not know either and asking me to come back Monday :(

5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    if you are attempting it online via MyGov , NRAS is dealt with under the section relating to Trust Income. Some genius put it there instead of under Refundable Tax Offsets...

If you are lodging via an accountant/tax professional, I believe it's under section 12 or 13 of the portal they use ...

I have some experience in these matters, having being audited 4 years in a row because of the size of my claims each year . Have been paid exactly what I claimed, each time...

The easiest way for you to deal with this is to have your accountant take care of it ...

On a separate note - did you only just get your 16/17 RTO from Ethan? Have you received 17/18 as well?

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The Individual return contains the NRAS tax credit item and should also quote the certificate number/s to assist the ATO to manually check the item to avoid delays. Its item 13 for all individual taxpayers excepting a trust which owns a NRAS property. The tax agent cannot access any NRAS information through ATO systems

Also make sure the rental deductions are adjusted to reduce the deductions for the non-assessable, non-exempt income. The ATO seem to be checking more taxpayers for this now. I have had two taxpayers seek assistance after they self prepared and had the NRAS credit refused for that issue.