Entertainment & Music Escape from the City

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 4th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Should anyone need convincing that Sydney is not the centre of the universe, watch ABC iView
    Escape from the City.

I'm currently watching the entire first season while the paint is drying between coats. 30 years of one style of home has gotten boring so I'm playing with the PPOR. Mr Angel bought me a little mouse sander on Wednesday - I have to sand off the evil varnish from every piece of eucalypt and paint all the window trims and door trims white.

Last edited: 4th Jan, 2019
    ellejay likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sounds like he wants the change to happen slowly. :rolleyes:

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I started out enjoying the series, but now I'm just getting envious. I dont begrudge people who have $1m to $2 million budgets, I'm getting depressed that they aren't showing couples who want to downsize to a $250k property. Where is the reality in Reality TV these days?

Attached Files:

Danyool likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sounds good, will watch it

5. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Funny how the word escape seems to be associated with the city.
    Do people feel trapped?

I certainly love living regional, especially small regional, a few kms outside small country towns on a couple acres or so. Space, peace & quiet, nature surrounding. The feeling of being part of the landscape all around you.

We do love trips to the big smoke, enjoying those things only the city can offer, but love heading back home again.

Hats off to the city population getting on with each other as well as they do because I know I would feel trapped and nature would take over causing me to break out!

Will watch this series, very interesting to see those who feel trapped break out and escape.

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Enjoying it too. Interestingly though, some of them don't go ahead and buy anything. I'll bet it's because they couldn't get the loans they thought they could.
    Good luck with the windows and doors. Lots of work but well worth it.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Isn't everyone in the city a gazillionaire?

I probably wouldn't sell my city digs but eek out a living on the $2k/wk it'd generate and live in @Angel's $250k joint. :rolleyes:

Angel likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We watched Launceston last night with homes in my budget. This morning, two more.

The Mission Beach homes are lovely, too. The Russell River Wog House has some potential maybe as a high end fishing retreat business, redecorated of course for the $2-4k per week market. I recognised the layout from watching Escape to the Continent. I have no idea what the feasibility of a commercial endeavour would be of course.

Where we are looking, the really nice places start from $350K. The Queenslander I pictured above is already partly renovated, we would do more to it if it was ours. It was on 760m2 if I recall correctly, way further up the hills from flood height and not too close to the train line.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good show.
    Watched the couple wanting to buy in Orange.

My pick, the property that had development potential

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The more I see the show, the more I want to stay in Sydney.

11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

That is a unusual response.
    Having spoken with an overload of Sydneysiders over the holidays (for years) the overwhelming comment is that they wish they could escape the Rat Race but unfortunately are tied due to employment limitations. Most have said they would move anywhere as long as it was out of Sydney.
    Please don't see this as a racist comment, but most that I speak with are Anglo, and across varying age groups.
    Maybe that has something to do with it.

12. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

They all want to do a B’n’B and have a, ‘paddock to plate’ restaurant and ‘eco friendly/environmentally neutral’ life style...

Nothing wrong with that btw but it just sounds like buzzwords the way it’s being presented. Just wonder how viable their businesses would actually be given their lack of experience and often lack of knowledge of the markets they are looking to enter.

Danyool likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Horses for courses but I think moving to the country or a regional town is well, a bit isolating, as tantalising as it 'looks'. Couple of weeks holiday to unwind, perfect. Long term/forever, I don't think so.

I don't like traffic and high property prices as much as the next guy but I do like being close to the hustle and bustle. That's the price you pay.

There are many places within Sydney metro you can live where you don't hear boo on the street - Dural, streets in Cheltenham that back the bush etc.

And in terms of the 'rat race', moving doesn't get you out of it. Money does.

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2019
    TAJ likes this.
  14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not very is my humble opinion.

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lol, the property recently doubled. They're late to the party.

Angel likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes I reslise this

Its a TV show, and what would they know, could probably sell them anything that was vintage...lol

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I've watched half a dozen eps so far. All involve Sydneysiders wanting to move out of Sydney. Do the producers know that there are other cities in Australia aside from Sydney?

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Of course there aren't.

I imagine the producers have dinner parties with the state/regional tourism board.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sydney is the centre of the universe:p

20. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Couldn't be further from the centre for me!