NSW Escalation within Strata

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 27th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Is there any escalation process within strata?

I've been asking strata to get a building defect fixed from the builder. Everytime I ask for an update, the response is you will hear from me when I know more. I ask for an ETA and there is none. I don't know whether anyone is looking at the issue, they can't tell me anything about it. 2 months already and i know nothing about what's going on except they are in discussions with the builder.

At this point they can drag it out 6 months, a year or until warranty is up.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Tribunal proceedings usually. Or threats of them.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. giraffez

But aren't they supposed to be working on my behalf? Isn't that what the strata rates are for. Seems a bit strange i need to take them to tribunal to get anything done.

Is there usually a timeframe in the legislations that building defects must be rectified by? I thought it was like 2 weeks or something.

4. thatbum

No, they work for the owner's corporation on behalf of all owners.

Well how much luck have you had so far?

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Headlock.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. giraffez

But I am the owner. Are you saying that ALL owners must be affected before it becomes their job?

7. aving1001

aving1001 Well-Known Member

Based on my experience it Depends how many members are in complex. My complex had only 10 units and most of them are rented so strata management did pretty much what I asked them for.

8. thatbum

You're not the owner. You are an owner.

That's like saying Woolworths should be at your beck and call because you own shares in woolies.

Anyway they still need to do their job, but pushing them to do it might involve more of a nudge obviously.

9. aving1001

Speak to strata committee members and see if they can push strata manager for quicker action

giraffez and dabbler like this.
  10. giraffez

There hasn't been many problems and so not many are involved in the strata committee. I'm not sure they will do anything if its just my property affected.

Once reported to strata, does the issue get documented somewhere. Or do I need to request that it be minuted so that something gets done. It may not be in the best interest to have it on the record, in the future if I sell, wouldn't that be a black mark.

11. aving1001

Mate you will only know by asking if they are happy to assist. I doubt it will do any harm asking them to help. If it is not a big complex I would hope that they will extend help to be good neighbour. remember you can also nominate your self as a member in future so it might pay them for you to be on their side.
    I am not sure about impacts of putting into minutes so cannot comment :(

giraffez likes this.
  12. aving1001

You might have already done that but still putting this out. It is possible that delay is on builder’s part instead of strata. Have you asked strata manager that what are your options of fixing of issue poses risk to your family? In ideal world strata manager should be well versed in dealing with such issues and should be Able to guide you.

giraffez likes this.
  13. giraffez

They seem to imply it is on the builder but can offer no updates of suggestions on how to get this moving except that we need to wait for builder to respond. I think its a very big assumption that the builder will respond at this rate. They seem to be implying that ball is out of their court and they are not required to follow up.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

This is a super typical response from overworked and undercaring Body Corporate management agents (not all of them, just the average ones).

My usual strategy is to nag them. Ask the right questions, do your research on the process that they should be going through, involve a higher level of management if you have a clear complaint about them failing to properly follow up their tasks.

It might be that this IS just a long process without any clear timelines, which is what they're telling you- do your research and find out if that is the case or not. (e.g. call QBCC and query how these defect complaints work).

aving1001 likes this.