Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Equity Story / Fat Prophet / Intelligent investor

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by Excalibur1, 27th May, 2016.

1. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Equity story seems to be like intelligent investor or Fat Prophets....

Anyone use any of those services and what are your experiences with them?
    I have been able to get access for couple months on intelligent investor and really like their insights and articles.

Equity story - seems to aim shorter term as well as long term. I have been following them for few months as well and they seem good. Average hold on stock is around 45 days.

Fat Prophets - I haven't used personally and cant comment.

One thing that concerns me with all those providers is that they seem to hold the stock until it starts making profit. Where they pick the stock and if it turns against them they will hold it until it comes back to break even or the loss is a lot less or it becomes profitable again.

I would like to start thread on those providers and everyone's thoughts on them... My apologies if these have already been discussed, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

2. Whale_monkey

Whale_monkey Member

I have been a long term Intelligent Investor subscriber, and really happy with them. Their research is well thought out and well articulated. They will happily sit on the sidelines if no opportunities are being presented. They are deep value investors, sticking strong to these principles. They were bought about 18 months ago by a listed company (that owns InvestSmart and Eureka now), and are now kind of integrated into that offering, IE, it seems that by II membership also now gets me Eureka report analysis. I don't know how comfortable I am with this to be honest, as there is a feel that they have lost their independence a little. I really hope their corporate overlords don't push them to change, they already have done somewhat as they are now trying to flog InvestSmart SMA portfolios, even after saying for years that these type of structures are a waste of money.

Regardless I'm happy to continue my membership. I've made good money out of their research.

3. Excalibur1

Good to hear that you made money out of them and thank you for your input. I thought their insights were good too. When they start losing independence that's when you got to rethink using them.

I haven't signed up to any of those listed above yet. I wanted to see what each has to offer first and to see if anyone else has used them.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was a paid subscriber for several years,but went away from them pre "GFC" still have most of those old papers they sent me,they were very good to learn from in the form of investor behavior characterized by volume linked to the economy ,one of the best quote from those papers is..Mr Market come to your front door selling something every day or night,it's up to you if you open the door..

5. Excalibur1

It's a very true quote. Opportunities are always knocking on the door. Thanks for your input @willair and @Whale_monkey

I noticed that most of those providers have done well post GFC, Anyone who put money into the market after that would make money. Even me when I had no idea about trading I manged to make money.

The main thing that concerns me about them is when a particular share is not going well, they let it ride until it starts doing well...Fat Prophet was the worst when it comes to this, don't have enough data to substantiate others in this regard.