EOFY new monitor "required"...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by inertia, 16th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I figured this was more of a living room thread than tax...

I'm on the market for a new monitor for my WFH setup, but I want a decent one. I'm looking for a 27" (not interested in bigger), and probably 4k.

Anyone got any recommendations or aware of good deals at the moment?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

No recommendations but consider the ultrawide screen ones.

3. rsmallri

rsmallri Well-Known Member

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Definitely go widescreen. Great for office productivity and a lot easier to work with than dual monitors.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I have three Dell UltraSharp 27" 2560x1440 monitors on my desk and I'm very happy with them.

I'm not sure I'd want to go as high as 4K on a 27" screen - 2560x1440 works really well IMO.

Dell currently have up to 40% off many of their monitors, but not the UltraSharp models unfortunately.

shorty and inertia like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

7. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Question - was about to pull the gun on a 32" Phillips but baulked thinking it was overkill sitting on a rather standard desk. Currently on a 27" LG 27EN43 (1920 x 1080), my eyes reckon this is good enough resolution. Then I read about 29" widescreens....any real benefit to the extra real estate upgrade given its only width wise? I do occasionally work with spreadsheets for work but mostly SQL coding, could benefit from side by side panes but not overly convinced for the price.

Thanks.

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

29"widescreen is too small, the ultrawide upgrade of your current set-up would be a 34" ultrawide screen imo. That's what I've used for fairnfew years, personally it works great for my purpose

9. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks.

What do you mainly use it for side by side?

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I do SQL coding too and I have a 35" widescreen. Its a good size.

11. R R

R R Member

Considering you'll be using it presumably for hours every day for multiple years, an extra 1-2 hundred is not much over the life of its use. Wouldn't recommend going over 24-25" with 1920x1080 resolution - the day I upgraded from FHD to QHD on a 27" (Dell 2721dgf) made me realise what I was missing out on. Given you're coding and reading forums etc with small text, the higher resolution makes a noticeable difference with regard to clarity (VS Code looks and feels a lot better).

Screen real estate results from higher resolution - do notice the difference from FHD > QHD, but not much extra functionality in practice. Higher resolutions than QHD most people increase the screen zoom as things become too small.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded at home to a 34 inch LG screen ($300 from Aldi which was a great deal) and it is brilliant having the larger screen! I would even consider going larger next time.

At work I still have two 24.5 inch screens.

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I ended up going with a HP X34 widescreen - it was even on sale for about $600. Sadly Harvey Norman has dropped the price further to $548.

It is spectacular! Plenty of real estate (see what I did there?) and the resolution is looking pretty good for work (3440 x 1440). It claims it is a gaming monitor with a high refresh rate and fast response time - so for those 5 minutes per month I may get to play a game, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Gockie likes this.