House & Home Ensemble or Slat Bed?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Pumpkin, 14th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting a new bed and have been debating with hubby which one to get.....Hope some PC can share their experience....

Currently we have an ensemble, size is Queen as our room is not big, after dresser, tall boy and bedsides. What I don’t like about ensemble is the bedhead never stayed properly as it’s backed against a window. Also it doesn’t utilise the space below.

However, ensemble has some pluses: it gives us the height recommended for old age/safety, it’s stronger apparently.

The hardest part is to find a bedhead that suits an ensemble. Been to a few shops but couldn’t get a sensible answer.

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Whichever squeaks more or less depending on your preference :eek:

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

We had the same problem. You do need to check as the bedhead is made differently. Our last bedhead was attached with brackets, they screw on around the legs of the ensemble and the bedhead slots into the brackets. They were available commercially, and I would have thought all the major chains would have them.

This bed we updated to a King and we have an upholstered ensemble type base that has an attached bedhead - we can just replace the mattress next time. The base has 4 drawers for storage.

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Having experienced both - the slat is good for storing stuff under - but the ensemble is more comfortable (better support) ... you can get ensembles now that have all sorts of drawers and lift up systems for storage.

As for the bedhead - no help there as we don't have one.

Pumpkin likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've always been slat base and mattress people. There seem to be two types, ensemble people and slat and mattress people.

We inherited an ensemble last year which is in our spare bedroom and a couple slept on it while house sitting and said it was super comfy. Our son is sleeping on it now and wants to take it with him when he moves. But it is on wheels and needs a bedhead and I like the simplicity of having a base that wont roll across the room when you want to lean against the wall and read a book. (I guess if you can lock it to the bedhead that stops the rolling?)

We also have another bed bas with slats, with a Koala style rolled mattress, and this base has a hydraulic lift to store things under the bed. Best of both worlds. It was under $400 and looks much more expensive.

We've just bought a new Ikea rolled mattress. It is super comfy, fairly firm (which we wanted) and cost less than $600. We didn't buy it because of the price, but because we tried all the beds at Snooze and then at Ikea and the rolled one was as comfy as some of the others and we could fit it in the car.

Pumpkin and WattleIdo like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You can choose an ensemble with legs, not wheels - essential for timber floors. Our spare room ensemble is on wheels as came from our previous house with carpet ... I simply packing taped up around the wheels so they don't roll

Pumpkin likes this.
  7. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I would always use protectors on timber floors so they stop the rolling issue, as well.

qak and Pumpkin like this.
  8. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

You can change the wheels to legs to stop the rolling. Just unscrew the wheels and attach new legs from Bunnings or ikea, $5 each.

If the slats aren’t solid timber they may start to sag over time as well.

Pumpkin likes this.
  9. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I hate slat beds...broken a few now.

Pumpkin likes this.
  10. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pumpkin likes this.
  11. Pumpkin

Thank you all for your responses, sorry been busy. I am getting there... slowly...

My preference is no squeak :p

Hmm, this is interesting. Will have a look at Ikea. Thanks!

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We just had our first ensemble delivered the other week. The bed head has brackets on it which attach to brackets on the base of the ensemble so they stay together.

Most ensemble bases are simply slats which are covered to form a base

13. Pumpkin

So the top part of the bedhead is unsupported? Pardon my ignorance, I still cant get my head around those upholstered bedheads, especially those that are very very tall. Never slept in one before but cant help wondering how steady it might be.... :D Unless they are screwed onto the wall I guess?

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF