'Enough, enough, enough': Scott Morrison says he will cut Australia's migration intake

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Noobieboy, 20th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I suspect that this is pre-election hype.

But, he does make an excellent point in that it's the States who have to foot most of the infrastructure bill. Giving the States more say in who goes where isn't a bad idea at all.

How you do that though...

Whitecat and Someguy like this.
  3. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Issue temporary visas for 5 years on condition they have to live in particular city/state that we are happy for them to live in.

Conduct random checks to make sure families are living where they are supposed to be living. If caught living in different state without notifying immigration temporary visa could be cancelled and they have to return back to country they came from.

Not hard at all if there is a will to implement it. Most of the systems would already be there considering they do similar stuff with student visas, tourist visas etc.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

spludgey and Whitecat like this.
  4. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

Regional areas have higher unemployment and less infrastructure than the big, albeit overcrowded cities. So they are not actually 'crying out for immigrants' as is claimed. They will still gravitate to the big cities and bear in mind we have been talking about the decentralisation pipe dream for a 100 years and except for Canberra it has never worked. What we need to do is cut immigration by a least half - now.

np999, Doncossack and Whitecat like this.
  5. Deck

Deck Well-Known Member

yes at least, for 10 years and focus on real needed skills, not parents visa and fake "investor" visas.But I doubt Morrison will do much, just pre-election talk

Last edited: 20th Nov, 2018
    np999 and Blackswan like this.
  6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

That is the lobbying done by NSW state in the last few weeks. They created a task force just to talk to the federal about it and I think they are right. If they have to do the infrastructure they get to decide how many they can afford to have.

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Oh Yes they are scienceman. Hospitals closing because they cant get drs or nurses, Harvesting machinery stopped because they cant get mechanics, Meat processers not able to expand because they cant get slaughterman. Hell it is even difficult to get cleaners. Regional areas have high unemployment because it is cheaper to live, with rent assistance cost almost nothing for housing and many are not unemployed they work for cash or they are unemployable, many will only work limited hours so that they don't loose benefit. My kids have finished school for the year and got jobs immediately.

8. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

When businesses say they can’t get “workers” they mean “cheap workers who can be exploited”. Almost every convenience store and petrol station is now staffed by workers of an Indian background because they are easy to exploit. Read the stories of fruit pickers exploited for slave wages.

9. scienceman

So why do migrants overwhelmingly flock to the cities? And all you have offered is not very plausible anecdotes which don't change the fact that unemployment is higher in the regions and there is a lot of youth unemployment. How much of our mass immigration can the regions really absorb without creating more problems than it solves? Why even Scott Morrison mocked the idea when then PM Gillard suggested it.

abc likes this.
  10. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

If they actually made regional areas more attractive - perhaps with infrastructure spending and/or moving support services to those locations - there would be natural demand to move there, and organic growth associated with it.

Cheers,
    Inertia

11. scienceman

Quite right. And if we had genuine skills shortages then we would be seeing wages going up instead of stagnating as they are. With our unemployment/ underemployment rate there is plenty of scope to better utilise our existing workforce.

qak and Buynow like this.
  12. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

If this does go ahead it will be interesting to see the effects on the property markets. Keeping in mind that Australia's population growth is largely determined by its immigration rate (graph below) I'd expect a flattening across the board, except in states that decide to buck the anticipated trend.

[​IMG]

Blueskies likes this.
  13. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

agree. I love other cultures and meeting immigrants. But i do not like a growing population overall.

Doncossack likes this.
  14. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I don't understand this comment. I've lived in regional Vic/NSW and remote WA for years. Health and other service provision is phenomenal...excellent care and very little waiting. A family member strolled from the GP to the hospital and had an MRI scan unplanned in less than half an hour recently. There are many more examples. Affordable housing, for many jobs salaries are higher than in the capitals so more disposable income. Uncrowded countryside/beaches/restaurants/gyms. Park for free or for very little and often literally outside the place you want to visit. Little to no commuter traffic, ten mins max to work and they need to make it more attractive?

wilso8948 likes this.
  15. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

If you’ve ever had to enroll a kid in school, you will realize the need to shrink our population

scienceman and Whitecat like this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

This proclamation is insanity. We need more migrants.

How else am I going to get more rent?

So selfish.

17. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

We need more #Tier2Cities and we need them now.

Until its just as cool to live in Nowra, Orange, Port Macquarie as it is Sydney, housing=expensive.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Ptetty lucky to have a hospital I think. Is it a bigger town / city?

People in rural areas often have to travel some distance for medical care.

My colleague’s father recently had to be sent from Mildura to Melbourne for cancer treatment.

19. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Nope Kununurra and Broome WA. Not every town has one obviously, and we have to travel a long way for some services but there are some incredible facilities on offer in some regional areas.

BuyersAgent likes this.
  20. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

Wait until those people have to fight for access to hospitals.

Not against migration, but public facilities need to be there first