Trading Engineers make the best Share Traders?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by MTR, 20th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I am a mechanical engineer. I suck at trading!

2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I though Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers made the worst traders as they cannot accept being wrong :D

Waldo likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

oops:)

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

They would also be in the ideal target market with stock brokers,but the best traders i know who don't trade on financial media or hour by hour updates,they just trade very little and wait...

5. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I am an engineer and I suck at trading.

I started with Index trading. Made a few hundreds everyday for a few weeks, thought I have learned it. Started trading at well street, lost 8k while waiting for "more profit". Never went back!

norwoodman likes this.
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I thought of this thread when I found this pic

Attached Files:

MTR and wogitalia like this.
  7. xanh

xanh Active Member

Whilst it does take a certain amount of intelligence to become a successful trader, and you'd think that engineers would have that, I don't think they necessarily make the best traders.

The biggest problem, (as mentioned by someone earlier) is being wrong.
    As an engineer (and many other technical professions), there is one answer - a right way and a wrong way. If something doesn't turn out the way you expect, there must be something wrong.

However, with trading, you can be wrong (a losing trade) without actually being wrong (good overall strategy). Trading is a numbers game, but its mainly a statistical/probability numbers game. No hard and fast rules or formulas. An engineer would make a losing trade and want to fix something that possibly isn't broken.

There are some aspects that would suit an engineer (mathematics, analysing data etc.) but there are some that may not suit (dealing with unknowns, thing not being black and white)