Engaging a buyers agent?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Katarina_Investor, 3rd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

It's not about the bubble popping but the market has seen huge gains over the last few years. Unlikely we will see gains like that again for quite some time. Depending on the area and product there might be some slight gains to make over the next few years but the investor grade units and houses out in the burbs are already off their peaks and falling further.

It won't be a blood bath but you missed the boat to make big short term gains just sitting on your hands.

radson and Katarina_Investor like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sure. I just want to define what I mean by 'money'. I am talking about acquiring an excess over what is enough to just live on.

So in my opinion people who deserve to get the 'big money' which really translates to the means to buy back their freedom are people who:

1. Make many sacrifices.
    2. Put in the hard yards with time and effort.
    3. Bother to actually learn and study thoroughly their craft (whatever it is).
    4. Take action. Consistent action, often in the face of difficult challenges.
    5. Persevere and never give up.

We gotta get away from the whole entitlement attitude.

Just my opinion.

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi @Katarina_Investor and welcome to the forum. As yet another BA replying to your thread (you're probably sick of us by now LOL :D) I'd like to reiterate what has been said already, in that nobody (this includes property "experts", economists, buyers agents, financial planners, accountants etc) can guarantee you capital growth. Investing in any asset class involves risk, and it's you as investor who must be willing to take this step.

I think it's also important to note that buyers agents ARE NOT licensed financial advisors and cannot provide financial advice. Our job is to work off a budget and your property criteria in the current market environment. We can certainly ascertain the areas that fit both these, and your needs/wants for a particular property purchase, however also note that every BA works in particular areas/towns/suburbs so you need narrow down the right BA for you, based on this. As @trinity168 has pointed out, make sure you consider a local Sydney BA. Though there are many buyers agencies claiming they can find you something on a national basis, be wary of the "fly and buy" BAs who aren't locals at all, and do your DD here. There are some great questions on the REBAA website when interviewing if you decide to go down this path How do I choose a buyer’s agent? - REBAA

If you decide to go it alone instead, this forum is a great resource for specific areas (once you've narrowed your suburbs down) but you do need to sift through a lot of content to find the gems at times :) Best of luck whichever way you go and I hope you get a terrific property!

Sackie, S.T and Propertunity like this.
  4. Katarina_Investor

Katarina_Investor Active Member

Thank you for the kind words :)
    I hope the BA can guide me in which suburb to buy best. Who would have known that my husband's property at Eagle Vale would double in 6 years!

5. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

My pleasure and I'm sorry our agency couldn't help you in Eagle Vale as we don't cover south but best of luck with it all :)

6. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Hi Katarina

It sounds as though some more preliminary investigation may be required? - Reading this forum and resources such as Market Information Resources to understand where different areas are in the price cycle etc etc.

While many BAs focus on specific areas, there are BAs who cover larger parts of Australia and have a set criteria, finding areas that meet that set criteria.

Do a search through the forums and you'll find a lot of great information (I love the search function :))

7. Ambrose Pang

Ambrose Pang New Member

Hi, just my 2 cent input (this is NOT a professional advice), I will buy properties if the timing and the price are right. It is difficult to make money in property if the holding period is too short - stamp duty and agent commissions aren't cheap, plus the interest costs. Therefore, the holding period should be at least 7 years. If you are going to cash-in a property in 3 years, a break-even is not a bad result.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021