Endorsed neighbourhood site description plan

Discussion in 'Development' started by RickProp, 5th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RickProp

RickProp Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Excuse me if this is a simple question but I am still learning. I am looking at a development site to potentially purchase. A site a few houses down which is the same size and dimensions has a planning application for 4 units in progress. They have just had their neighbourhood site description plan endorsed by council. What exactly does this mean, that the council will permit the number of units and design?

I want to ensure I can get 4 units on the site I am looking at. Obviously things like trees, sewers, stormwater, easements etc will also impact it but I assume it is a good start that council is endorsing their neighbourhood site description plan and allows the potential for 4 units on a similar site?

Thanks for your help.

2. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rely on it. If the sites are identical in respect to size, dimensions and zoning and other overlays it's promising to know you might be able to achieve a similar density, but there are too many other variables like you said, easements, sewer, topography, distance from other intersections, access that might be issues.

Why not start from scratch and do a proper assessment? You'll know for sure and it'll teach you the key controls as well.

RickProp likes this.
  3. RickProp

Thanks, yes I intend on doing as much due diligence as possible and a proper feasibility. I was more trying to understand the fact that there is an endorsed neighbourhood site description plan and what that means for similar sites. i.e. the fact that it has been endorsed, does this mean the council are happy with the density of that site i.e. 4 x 3 bed d/s units for the site dimensions, zoning, neighbourhood etc?

4. Mike Sargeant

Mike Sargeant Active Member

The neighbourhood site description plan is for the purpose of explaining the existing conditions around the proposal site. All having it 'endorsed' means is that it is accurate in Councils opinion.

It has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the development being applied for but may help if it's showing the right, relevant information.

The application has not even been advertised or assessed properly usually at this stage. Confusion does come in when people confuse endorsement of this plan with an endorsed development plan.

As Gavin has implied your site needs it's own assessment to ascertain if the number of dwellings is appropriate in context of the site, neighbourhood and planning policies.

RickProp likes this.
  5. RickProp

Thanks Mike, that makes sense. Having a look at it, it does not have the proposed units on it so it has nothing to do with zoning or density. It shows site contours, dimensions, area, trees, neighbour setbacks and trees, easements, crossovers, utility meters, fences, surrounding houses i.e. the details of the actual site and the neighbouring properties and area i.e .the neighbourhood.

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Pretty much an existing conditions drawing. Not a commitment by the Council to anything. It was intended that these be a prelude to the development of the site, a stepped approach, but nowadays it doesn't mean very much and most of us don't bother with seeking endorsement prior to the application package being put together

RickProp likes this.
  7. RickProp

Thanks Tufan.

Tufan Chakir likes this.