Enclosing void under house

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Benjy, 30th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Hi All

I have a property that I'm having trouble renting. Generating plenty of visits but many people are put off by the open void under the house. Feedback PM is getting is they are worried about kids getting stuck, snakes etc.

So I'm thinking about enclosing it. Looking for suggestions on the best way to do this, cheapest but durable etc. As you can see the house sits on steel posts approx 400mm above ground level. I would build in a gate somewhere so the void can be accessed easily. My initial thought was to screw horizontal decking boards to the posts... but these will need staining every 12 months or so.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

You should avoid touching the posts and avoid screwing items to them.

A cheap option could be to cable tie a few sheets of lattice to the posts. But this would not be the right/preferred method.

3. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

I would cut sheets of roofing iron or flat iron and screw them longways to the posts. I did this at my brothers property. Put in an access gate at the highest point.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It is 400mm FFS agent is grasping at straws if a house being off the ground is putting renters off. Has it been snow issue previously?

Snakes will get under there regardless, as for kids/pets a bit of dirt never harmed anyone.

I'd be looking at the obvious causes - pricing, vacancy rates, seasonality, maintenance issues, security, flyscreens etc.

Maria Ozawa, broc119 and wylie like this.
  5. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

May be right Scott, plenty of Queenslanders (houses) have a void and often more that .4. They don't have any trouble renting out

6. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Thanks guys. This is a new property for me so I can't say if it's been an issue before. Have used the same agent on other properties with no dramas so far...

Everything else about the property seems ok - it's fairly priced, in good condition, decent security, aircon etc etc. Seasonality is a definite possibility.... but vacancy rate 2.3% so shouldn't be hard to rent. Just going off what the agent has said, the feedback has been the open void is the main issue. Plenty of people looking through it but only a couple of very poor applications.

Cheers.

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I am tending to agree with this. To test if it is a genuine objection, have your agent say to the next few prospective tenants who raise it: "If the LL encloses the void to your satisfaction, would you be interested in renting the property, starting with an application? Y/N.

Then see if other objections arise or not.

wylie likes this.
  8. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Yes it's a good point, will test it out at the next open on Saturday. Thanks everyone.

Propertunity likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How did it go?

Dan Wood likes this.

The shift to the regions has been quite profound with Millennials and Gen X leading the way. It seems affordability, lifestyle, and working from home have been the key drivers from which these generations have been able to take most advantage.