Enclosed patio..

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Samuel Subritzky, 11th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Samuel Subritzky

Samuel Subritzky Member

Hi All,

Looking at a reno that has a large 70sqm patio out the back, the current owners have enclosed it with brick and windows. My question is how enclosed can you have a patio before it turns illegal?
    the house comes under the city of Joondalup, i can't find any particular answer to my question on there website.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I have a particular hate of these sorts of additions. They so often are heat traps and make the interiors of the actual dwelling dark and dismal even before they are closed in..

Pingu1988 likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

And this is a problem because??

It's a benefit in my book...can either turn it into a loggia or a free 70sqm rumpus room.

4. Samuel Subritzky

Samuel Subritzky Member

Yeah i guess if done right it would be ok, this one is not :(the ceiling is 1.8m floor to ceiling with installation bats uncovered. very dark very gross.
    If we do go ahead with it we could put a high pitched ceiling in with something to let in the light im guessing.

My concern is that it is being used as a habitable room with it being so enclosed, if the council was to find out we could possibly be screwed as it is only approved as a patio.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Is this a house you own, or one you are thinking of buying?

6. Samuel Subritzky

Samuel Subritzky Member

One we are very close to buying.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Then tell the agent you will buy it if the owners remove the offending part.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

or if they'll raise the roof ;)

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Or factor in that you want to modify or remove it, and don't want to pay for something you won't use. Someone else might be happy to pay for what is there.

Joynz likes this.
  10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If it's an issue, don't buy it. Or do as the above posters have suggested. There's plenty of properties available, and if this one is cheap, it's probably because there's issues.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If the house obviously has this fault, goodness knows what less obvious dodginess has also been done to it.

wylie likes this.
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a good point. I've seen many homes that have had alterations done to them by the previous owners, that you know, just by looking at them, that it's not compliant. Unless you're a great tradie yourself, I'd steer clear of this place.

13. Samuel Subritzky

Samuel Subritzky Member

Thanks everyone for the advise:)
    It has been such a hot market where we are looking in Heathridge. Not much staying up for more then a week and this one has not been advertised as yet. Im going to get a building inspection before we sign anything and proceeded with caution. If anything it would be a very good leveraging point to get some more off the price surly!

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Great strategy. Please let us know how you go.

Some years ago when prices in Brisbane were rebounding after the floods, we looked at a horrible little house in a back street in a good mid ring suburb that has since boomed. The house had at least four annexes tacked onto it, two were being used as bedrooms, water damage to about half of it and the pool in the backyard was split in two as though it was hit by an earthquake. It sold at the first open with multiple offers, we didn't get a look in. I drive past regularly and it still looks exactly the same. I dont see any signs of a reno (there may have been). It would probably be worth $200k more today even if it was in the same condition.

15. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Contact the council and ask if a DA was lodged and granted, if not, you know the risk, buyer beware ... :eek:

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Give the City of Joondalup a call and ask to speak with the Planning or Building department and see if there was a building license approved for the works as it is.

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

1.8m is VERY low - anyone who is 6ft couldn't walk in there.

It's its only 1.8m ceiling then it doesn't meet the definitely of a habitable room (needs 2.4m ceiling) so it really only can be an uninhabitable room - doesn't meant that it can't be enclosed though - just that it can't be used or sold as habitable - store rooms, patios etc don't need 2.4m ceilings