Employees stay when they are....??? .....discuss....

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by moyjos, 13th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that people join companies but leave managers. From personal experience I'd say that rings quite true.

inertia likes this.
  2. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Recent poll or study (can't recall source) said that a large percentage of people leave their work place because of the person they report to/work under.

Makes sense.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Pay has not been a big motivator to stay at my office ~ I am pretty sure we pay fair but not high.

Many left when we relocated from the suburbs 20km out of Melbourne CDB into the CBD - so location / commute time was/is a big factor.

Redundancy packages were also a big factor.
    Many of the "old hands" get 4 weeks to the year uncapped.
    The more recent intakes get 2 weeks to the year capped at 5 years ~ insane if you want employee loyalty. Nothing that would motivate them to stay beyond the 5.....

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

Maybe the other way around too..... many of my managers have resigned, or get shown the door if they stay too long.....! :eek:

The Y-man

5. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

People leave because they have either better or more important things to do elsewhere. Jobs suck up a lot of time, if you don't 100% need it and you have other things to do that the job is interfering with, better to leave. Thats what I did.

keithj likes this.
  6. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Being scummy gen y I can say that most of them leave because business owners have them on as casual staff and they need some level of certainty in wages to actually purchase property.

Treat staff like a replacable commodity and you will get no loyalty.

inertia likes this.
  7. The Y-man

Yes, unfortunately we are finding this to be the way of the corporate world too.

While not necessarily "casual", large corporates now run with fixed term contractors.

Having "project based" staff has been touted as the "new" way to improve flexibility and lower cost by having resources "when and as needed".

i.e. for a solutions provider, one might:
    1. hire BDM's to get customer requirements, fire them once got.
    2. hire solution designers / architects, fire once design obtained
    3. hire implementation team, fire once implemented
    4. hand over to contracted (insourced or outsourced) support team.

The problem that is blatantly obvious is that without supernatural coordination and control, the solution originally sought by the clients in step 1 is not what gets delivered, and the support team have no idea what's in place.

Intellectual capital in continuity is incredibly undervalued IMHO in many large corporates (yes, I am in the supporting end when people come crying to me for help for some product given to a customer where there is no documentation - often not even a contract copy on our side - no system design, nudda, and everyone who sold it, designed it and installed have "left")

...and I know we are not the only ones to be doing this. :oops:

Upside is, my team has got very good at reverse engineering!

The Y-man

AndrewTDP likes this.
  8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

With the commoditisation of many aspects of IT, the skillset required to do well is actually problem solving. Tools change, technology changes, capabilities change, but there are always problems to be solved. I've always felt my job at any company is to make myself redundant. Fix the problems, improve the processes, document everything so anyone can take over. That frees me up to do the interesting things.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

9. The Y-man

Funny thing is (if the workplace is worth their salt) this is the key to making yourself a valuable employee and promotion material.

Most ambitious employees don't realise this secret.

The Y-man

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter made herself redundant by carefully documenting the processes which had been taught to her and which nobody else knew.

But then she was leaving the organisation to study at university. She left behind a lot of good will.

inertia likes this.
  11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Exactly. Working in IT, I had no expectation of long term employment with any firm. I ended up doing over 10 years at one company - albeit with a 13 month break to go O/S, but they sought me out when I came back to Aus. I did change roles every 2-3 years through that time though.

Cheers,
    Inertia