Employee to Contractor to starting own business...help

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by B-Mac, 30th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Well-Known Member

Hi,

I worked for a mortgage broking company as PAYG wage earner for 7 years.

I them moved to contractor (via pty ltd company) for 1 year, but under the same mortgage broking company.

I now want to go out on my own and start my own business from scratch.

Is there any limitations to whether or not I can deal with my old clients? I have deep seeded relationships with commercial customers who will want to follow me if I start a new business. I would never take any data, documents or other information from my current employer, but want to know if I am even allowed to approach my old clients, or if not, how long do I need to wait?

I didn't sign any 'contractors agreement' when I went to commission only structure so not sure where to even start?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

What about when you were an employee? Did you sign anything then?

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Who are you a credit rep of - the aggregator or the company you contract to? I take it you don't have your own credit licence? What does the deed say in regards to ownership of clients? Surely there was some kind of written agreement in place in terms of commission splits, responsibilities etc?

If nothing has been formalised (which is concerning for both you and the business owner) then I would be having a chat to the owner about my plans and sorting out a way to exit the business with clear plans of what can and cannot be done.