Emergency fund – how do you work out what you need?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Prothonotary, 2nd Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Prothonotary

Prothonotary Active Member

Hi All

2 related questions:

1) What metrics people use to calculate how much they keep in a reserve/emergency fund? It would be helpful to determine how others calculate it so I can do my own calcs. For example, do you keep a certain ratio of emergency fund to expenses (eg. cash to cover X months’ expenses); cash as a % of net worth or % of net debt, or something else?

2) What rules of thumb / yardsticks are there to determine how much you personally should in fact keep in the emergency fund? Obviously this depends on risk profile and goals, but I would be keen to hear what emergency fund some people do have. By way of example, I am looking to keep cash to cover 12 months of all costs and expenses. I am mid-30s, wife and no kids (yet) looking to consolidate our existing investments.

Apologies if this Q has been asked before. I had a look / search on the forum and couldn’t find anything.

Thanks

Prothonotary

2. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Personally, I keep 3 months of my salary tucked away for emergencies.
    That might be low for some people here, but I have about 30% cash flow after all my expenses (including IPs).
    I have done my own risk assessment. In my line of work, it’s very unlikely that I will be out of a job for more than 3 months (I have income protection as well).
    Plus, I am more the optimistic type- what are the chances that you lose your job and all your IPs are vancant for more 3 months all at the same time? (I hope I haven’t jinxed myself!)

Kevvy7 likes this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Currently, our cash holdings are:
    1. 10.5% of our total assets.
    2. 15.0% of our net worth.
    3. 35.1% of our loan portfolio.
    4. 20.7% of our SMSF balance (we keep at least 3 years pension payments in cash).
    These are probably a bit high for some people's expectations but my view is you can't have too much in cash when the **** might hit the fan :eek:.

LoremIpsum likes this.
  4. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I now budget for at least one property to be vacant at any one time so effectively 100% vacancy on a given property at any one time. That way if I have prolonged vacancy in any one place e.g. for renovations or insurance claims (as I have just gone through) I'm not pressured and it also then allows others to go vacant at the same time. It's unlikely this scenario will eventuate (100% vacancy) so I'm well covered.

- Andrew

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

when that happens I thought you wanted gold bars and well planned prepping?

Sackie and kierank like this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nah, you are confusing “**** might hit the fan” with “the end of the world is nigh” :D.

Shogun likes this.
  7. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Personally I like the idea of 12 month expenses as a measure, and keep this in an offset.

I also note that when reading the budget papers last night that Australia's well performing 'Future fund' keeps 15% cash (attached) @kierank is a model student

side note: i found the property/aus shares allocation interesting

Attached Files:

kierank likes this.
  8. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

See what your super or income protection will cover you for if you have any health / work issues.
    Then cover the rest with savings for at least a years worth of annual income, peferably two.

9. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

By Property it doesn't mean Aussie properties, it is a mixture of commercial properties fund spans the globe

10. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Noted, I did assume our government isnt buying new build resi studio units in blacktown..

11. ad1t

ad1t Active Member

I think 6 months of expenses is a happy medium for emergency fund. Most professionals should be able to find a job in this period based on their experience, or be covered by 'Underwritten' income protection insurance. In terms of cash holding % of total net worth, this is a tricky one. I would think ~10% is a good number.

12. ad1t

ad1t Active Member

Kiyosaki once said, there are just 4 precious metals; Gold, Silver, Guns and Bullets! You need the last two to protect the first two!

13. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    10K buffer per property