Eltham Vs Heathmont for PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by cr7, 25th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. cr7

cr7 Member

I have a young family with 2 kids and looking for a PPOR for myself. I have been priced out of vermont and viewbank and now considering Eltham and Heathmont.
    Which is a better area for PPOR from a young family perspective?
    I plan to live there for at least 10 yrs, what should I prefer, renovating or KDRB?
    Also which suburb holds more potential from capital gains perspective in future.

TIA.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I like both - but if you want relatively flatter ground then go Heathmont. Eltham has a more country feel. CG wise - hard to say which will be better.

The Y-man

cr7 likes this.
  3. cr7

cr7 Member

Thanks for you input.

4. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Eltham is more expensive than viewbank? It also has a nice main road with restaurants and cafes, plus train station. Eltham East is a very good primary school. I would go Eltham over Heathmont, but it is also significantly more expensive, especially if you want to be near the main road.
    What's your budget?

5. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Agree with above.

Eltham - unique country with a splash of hipster feel but sloped lots and higher bushfire/insurance premium rise risk

Heathmont - leafy suburbia with not much going on besides a train that takes under 1 hr to cbd or one station away from Eastland.

Both will attract a different nationality of buyers as well which may dictate its future vibe.

6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I would chose Eltham due to it's leafy country village feel and art's scene. A lot of artist's studios, classes and events that are open to public. Big blocks as well.

Also massive train upgrade works are taking place providing more frequent train services to the city in the future.

I have not followed prices in either of them and also do not have any experince in the schools, hence my view is purely based on 'look and feel'.

7. Tarek Omar

Tarek Omar Active Member

8. jujaro

jujaro New Member

For kids, Eltham all the way. Much better character, cafes, better houses (Heathmont houses are too old), better schools/kinder. Better suburbs nearby. Tons of playgrounds everywhere.

Heatmonth may beat Eltham in access to the CBD, and to the beaches (Eastern Freeway). But if you are planning to stay for at least 10 years the North East Link may improve things a little in the future.

9. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

Although............ Heathmont is next suburb to Ringwood, which has been booming, thanks to the upgrading of the Eastland Shopping Complex (very 'designer' these days) so there might be some spillover effect. Heathmont has a good shopping strip fronting Canterbury Rd. and the suburb gives handy access to Yarra Valley for day trips in the semi-rural environment (all those wineries!)
    Like anywhere else, there are pockets of Heathmont which are older and those which are newer - check out the area on the southern side of Canterbury Rd near Marlborough P. S and Heathmont College - both of these schools used to be highly regarded but not sure of their current status.

korando1234 likes this.