Elevated QLD Properties-higher maintenance costs?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by George Smiley, 18th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Up in Brisbane atm looking at properties and was told by an ex-agent in the industry that properties on elevated land on an incline often have significant maintenance costs due to issues with run-off and the structure itself. The conversation was short so didn't get the chance to go into detail.

My knowledge on this issue is lacking- part of me it's just the expected nature of these kind of properties but the other part thinks that good builds shouldn't have these issues. I guess it's a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but it would depend on the property but any tips on this area would be appreciated.

2. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

I think this is more of an issue with drainage than the quality of the build. In my previous property we had a building and pest done to ensure that there was no severe existing damage and upgraded the drainage to resolve run off issues.

George Smiley likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Trouble with drainage is that it is hidden from view and you wont know just how effective it is until it is too late. You can turn on the garden hose outside and see if the first-level drains take it away, but you will not be able to tell if water will seep through into the dwelling unless you are testing it in a torrential downpour or until a post-cyclonic rain depression that lasts for three days. Any part of the property that is below ground level will potentially be affected. You may get several years of no problems before that 1 in 100 weather event.

George Smiley likes this.
  4. significance

significance Well-Known Member

It's going to depend on the slope of the land as well as the elevation, and the positioning of the property within that land. I'm in Townsville. Because I am on elevated land, the property that I live in was not flooded during the torrential rains this year, as many low-lying nearby properties were. However, one of my neighbours had substantial storm-water damage due to the positioning of their property, which meant that runoff on its way downhill from higher on the hill-slope washed under their door. Another nearby property suffered damage due to minor rockfalls from the slope behind it during heavy rain a few years ago.