Electronic Funds Transfer

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by HUGH72, 3rd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

After close of business Thursday the 29th I transferred funds from an NAB account to one of my Westpac accounts as well as a transfer to my ANZ account. At 1pm today the 3rd of April these transfers hadn't been completed.
    My question is how is this possible?

Interestingly the funds disappear from my account immediately but are then 'in transit' for 5 days. I make a visa card purchase and the transaction item immediately appears in my transaction history.
    Still waiting for monthly rental payments as well.
    It is not as if transactions are completed with chalk and slate.

I just received this from NAB as I assume their call centre must have been getting overloaded with similar inquires.
    I understand it has been a long weekend with public holidays but surely a little prior planning could avoid this?

Screenshot_2018-04-03-13-09-23.png

Kassy likes this.
  2. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I think having an extra long weekend fall on the end of the month like it just did was the main reason. All the month end transactions being backed up because systems were closed/not fully functional for 4 days. You made transfers after business close on Thursday. So really, it's only been 4 official business hours today so far. I'd say wait until the end of today - should have the funds cleared by then.

HUGH72 likes this.
  3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

none of our cheques cleared nor have we received any deposits that weren't TT'd as at COB today. Seems like an extra day's holiday for CBA. This includes pre COB transfers made on Thursday.

HUGH72 likes this.
  4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Something weird that I noticed today. We had some mortgage payments due on 1/4, they are showing as credited on the mortgage accounts but the money hasn’t been withdrawn at all yet from the account it comes from (different banks).

@HUGH72 I hope your money has gone through...

HUGH72 likes this.
  5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, all transactions now accounted for, I really don't understand why it takes so long. Carrier pigeon would have been quicker.

Phantom likes this.
  6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I am sure there would be some delayed settlements as well.

7. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

As the new payments platform proves, there is absolutely no reason why bank transfers even need to be held up on weekends or public holidays anymore.

HUGH72 likes this.
  8. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

It takes 2-10 seconds in Singapore for bank transfers to clear. I am still shocked at how Australian system is so outdated.

Dean Collins and HUGH72 like this.
  9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. Apparently that's not the case and we are still in the 1980's.

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Its not :)

its called making a buck

ta
    rolf

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

That’s the only conclusion I can think of..

Kassy likes this.
  12. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Should have paid with Litecoin! ;)

Seriously though, I saw an ad from ING about instant payments, including on the weekend which sounds good. You can even set it up, so you can send funds to someone's email or phone number. It has limits per day, and was aimed more as splitting bills at a restaurant - but interesting. I haven't used it yet.

HUGH72 likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yeah, that's the new Osko PayID system - most of the large financial institutions now support this.

You can pay for an annual PropertyChat membership using instant PayID too - just send your payment to [email protected] :D

PS. the whole splitting bills thing is a bit misleading - there's nothing magical about PayID other than the "instant" payments. The intention with splitting bills is that one person gets designated to pay the bill in full, while everyone else submits their share to that person's account instantly, so you know before you pay that you've got enough funds to cover the cost and you won't have to chase anyone for money. Being able to send money to someone using their phone number is really convenient too.

I am also astounded that in 2018 we still have to wait days for normal funds transfers to be completed.

Dean Collins likes this.
  14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I have tried this once, my payment was rejected. I called NAB and they advised me there is a bug/problem with their android phone app. I was shown a workaround as they are aware of the problem.o_O

Dean Collins likes this.
  15. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Here in the USA its called Zelle Pay
    How It Works | Zelle

Lots of limitations eg maximums per day and per month etc. Never used it but basically banks all signed on when Paypal started getting into p2p instant payments a few years ago and started freaking them out.

16. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Very true. I am very interested in any study estimating the amount of money OZ banks can make by just delaying all bank transfer. I guess the amount will be quite significant.

17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The other thing that frustrated me with this is that NAB were all over this, promoting PayID and such - and I was able to easily set up a email based PayID for each of my business entities which was great. But when I tried to work out how to send a payment, I discovered that NAB doesn't seem to support businesses making payments using PayID - you can only receive payments.

I was hoping to be able to pay my salary using my personal PayID so I didn't have to wait until the following day to receive my funds - but I can't. Theoretically, if both accounts involved in the funds transfer support PayID, then normal funds transfers are supposed to use the new instant payments processing transparently (using BSB/Acct number), but I've yet to see that in action.

When I went to set up a PayID with CBA for my personal accounts, I discovered that CBA have only integrated it with their mobile app and so you can only set up a phone number as a PayID and they don't yet support using an email address. Also, you can only send payments using the mobile app - not internet banking, which is a real pain, because I make extensive use of the address book feature in internet banking to make payments to people. Apparently email based PayID is coming - but they haven't indicated when.

It's all been rather underwhelming so far.

RPI likes this.
  18. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Sounds like several banks have rushed to get the technology live without providing sufficient support and prior testing.