Electricity supply comparison time

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 16th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm - due to renew my electricity plan ... again

Do I go for a company I have never heard of to save up to $160/yr (Powershopped - ReAmped - Powerbank Home) ... or do I go with a reliable and long time company (Origin)?

Leaning towards Origin (already customer) so interested in thoughts

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Talk to Origin and tell them you are considering moving to XYZ and ask if there is anything they can do for you, they will probably drop your rate.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It comes from the same place, uses the same poles and wires - no difference between any of them.

As for customer service, billing, call centre, website, interface, back of house etc how do they compare?

4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I cracked it a bit at Origin, they increased our rate when the last "special deal ended" and I the bill said call for latest deals. So, I did, and they gave us xx% off whatever blah blah for being a loyal customer of 10 years odd.

Then I looked around and found Momentum Energy, who's basic, flat rates are cheaper than the 28% off Origin anyway, plus I liked their background (do a lot of green stuff from memory, I think they own Snowy Hyrdo too?).

I signed up with them, then Origin called me and asked me why I was leaving, then offered a further discount to tempt me to stay (which was still more expensive than Momentums regular, flat rate). I gave the sales guy my comments in that if it takes someone leaving to get the rate that low, they need to rethink their models, plus this new "32%" off to keep me was still more than Momentums flat basic rate that I don;t need to re-negotiate a deal on every 12-24 months, so it's all just smoke and mirrors marketing, he appreciated my feedback and with that I told him I was swapping the company supplier over to Momentum too... and did.

So far, happy as with Momentum. They give me electricity, I give them some money that amounts to less than I did with Origin. All good.

Lizzie likes this.
  5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I had the same recently with AGL. I got an email from them saying my rates were changing. When I compared them to what I was currently paying, it amounted to 23% more overall.

A dude at work recently switched to Alinta Energy, so I went on their site, wrote down and their rates and they were cheaper than I was paying before this email about the increase.

So I got onto the online chat for AGL, asked for a better deal. They offered me $150 odd in in credits over 24 months, and a slightly lower rate. Alinta was FAR better.

So, I told them the rates of Alinta, and what they are offering.

Long story short, AGL offered significantly lower rates and smashed Alinta out of the water. Much lower than I was paying before :D

Propagate and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They work on the lazy factor, if people are too lazy to effect any change they make a greater and greater margin.

Propagate and mikey7 like this.