Electricity meter installation cost

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Harry Nguyen, 1st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen Well-Known Member

hi all,

I am feeling a bit mad right now, reading the invoice. the charge is $1,100 (GST included) for new electricity meter for granny flat.

"Work performed = Supplied and installed one single phase electric meter"

It was installed by private contractor, not Energy Australia.

I intend to call Energy Australia to find out how much it cost if they install it.

is the price correct?

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

That is an excellent price.

I received quotes from 2 level 2 electricians. They were $1,100 and $2,000. I requested 2 other quotes, they didn't bother showing up.

I went with the $1,100 - 9 months of excuses as to why he hadn't completed the job by various deadlines he provided! I spoke with another level 2 electrican who said the quote was too cheap hence the stalling tactics.

We are increasing the rent to cover approximate electricity cost because we are moving into the property at the end of the year and it is no longer worth the installation cost. Lesson learned.

3. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I feel great now.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  4. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

5. Tim & Chrissy

We needed a whole new meterbox, the existing one was jam packed!

Unless we have separate NMI's which allow the tenants to have their own electricity accounts we can't legally charge them for usage.

It's okay, we've made peace with it now :p

6. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Happy you have sorted it out.
    You are able to charge the tenant water and electric if they are separately metered....I use one NMI feeding a sub-board with separate meter.
    Hard to get three NMI's without strata.....

7. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I paid $350 for a new meter installation when I got solar. It pays to get quotes before proceeding with the work.

Your sparky didn't actually supply the meter though, they picked it up from Endeavour or Ausgrid (assuming you're in Sydney) and it remains their property. So you're not even paying for the meter itself.

8. Tim & Chrissy

Electricity company has the three NMIs and new board sitting there waiting. Electrician just never bothered.

It is on the Central Coast, not many Level 2's up there. We are also planning on moving into the property and the end of this year so not much point now.